View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 07:26 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
First paragraph of that article compares it to mad cow disease and once again tries to scare people into thinking it could jump species. (It could, but it's highly unlikely and hasn't happened yet). Also, this was a much smaller sample size, and even if it has increased, it hasn't affected the herd. There was an elk herd in South Dakota that had a much larger population that tested positive, and what happened, you guessed it, the herd thrived.

To date, I think I read earlier in another article, that of all samples in every animal they have taken since they started studying it, right around 1% have tested positive.
You do realize that CWD and Mad Cow are the same type of disease right? You said it yourself, they have not proven that it CANNOT jump. I don't agree with scare tactics, but being informed of POTENTIAL hazards is never a bad thing.

Again, I'm not arguing that it has brought disaster on a herd. But why is it more prevalent in some herds than others? What if the right situation presented itself for this disease to do a lot of damage to a herd?

What is an acceptable number of deer dying by this disease, in your opinion? Keep in mind, deer likely won't just die by this disease, but by hunting, predation, old age, other diseases, collisions with vehicles. This disease can infect any age class. Older deer appear to be more susceptible to it (likely due to decreased vigor).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk