View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 08:45 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
Does the existing slab have any footing to support the additional weight of the block and new concrete?

If so I'd drill into the existing slab and epoxy rebar into the holes . Lay the block in a running bond with dura wall in between each course , ( it looks like a wire ladder) . Back fill the cavities with concrete . Let it cure, back fill the "ring" chainwall and form whatever decorative edge you may want on the slab , pour the concrete as normal
thanks

when I had the slab poured I told the guys I needed it extra strong by the doors so it would support concrete steps and landings but I wasn't there when it was done so they "said" they made the slab there around 6" deep to support the extra weight of steps and platform.

I could always lay out the pattern and cut out 12" wide sections where the blocks will go and re-pour just the footing area for the landing at around 12" deep and set rebar in it to tie into the blocks.

if you think I should really be concerned about the weight load then I will cut it out and make footings for it because I want this thing done right the first time and the worst case scenario is I might have just a regular 4" thick slab under there.