View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 09:46 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
All these biologist aint got a clue. On one hand we have fewer birds than ever and on the other its a record hatch. Im sorry but surveys dont represent actual numbers. Survey Ws friend and there are more birds down than ever. Survey joe blow who aint killing and there are no birds. Its all a bunch of bull**** that I don't believe. Whether Mr. Reynolds says we have a ton of birds or none, ill still go and make the best of what I have.

You're right, the surveys don't represent the actual numbers, but people act like that is what biologist are saying is the case. I would bet any biologist would tell you those numbers are not the exact number, but an estimate. That's what it is. But people take it as an exact count.

The other thing I've found is that duck hunters tend to assume that if wildlife and fisheries is saying there are X amount of birds in this part of the state, that they should be seeing birds at their place. That's just not the case. All habitat is not equal. Birds are much more sensitive to changes than we are. Somewhere that has been a stronghold for ducks for 3 decades may no longer be that way for some unknown reason.

I don't think anyone will ever fully know why the ducks aren't here or there. the White-tail is one of the most studied species on the face of the earth, and deer biologist still dont' know everything there is to know about them. If they don't know everything about 1 species, what makes anyone think waterfowl biologist will ever know everything about multiple species with a complex ecology?

I'm with you though, Mcnabb. I'm still going to go out and make the best of it. Even if they go to a 3 duck limit, that's still better than no ducks at all.