View Single Post
Old 11-06-2017, 11:24 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
Sounds like you are using a box mix. Do yourself a favor and throw that crap away. Jambalaya can be tricky, but it?s much more satisfying to make from scratch. I prefer using strictly cubed pork fingers. Season with salt, black pepper, red pepper, and garlic powder. Brown until it?s nearly burnt and then add your trinity and boil it for about an hour to tenderize it. Add your rice after that. I prefer medium grain for a jambalaya, but lone grain will work. I judge my water by the first knuckle past the rice. Make sure it?s a little salty and seasoned. The rice will soak up a good bit. Close the lid and boil for 30 - 45 minutes. DO NOT OPEN THE LID in this time frame. Afterward, lift the lid and FLIP the rice. Stirring will make a mushy mess. Close the lid and cook for another 10 - 15 minutes. It may take a few tries to get it right, but I promise it?s way better than anything you buy off a shelf and much more satisfying to know you made it from scratch.

You can use sausage and chicken, but I grew up with strictly pork in a jambalaya and that?s how I prefer it. It?s still the same process regardless.

He was referring to Tony's seasoning. Not jambalaya mix.