View Single Post
Old 08-03-2015, 09:46 AM
Redfish

Cash: 901
Default Feeders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed32 View Post
What Kind do ya'll recommend? brands, types, etc. I also need tips on keeping the coons out of them. Thanks
I have had the best luck with metal or plastic drums using the Moultrie Pro Hunter. You can buy them at Academy for $40. They have a metal spin plate and the battery lasts FOREVER. If you put Vaseline on your feeder legs, the coons cannot climb to the top and spin or damage the feeder. If you don't want coons....don't use corn...period. If you can afford to throw soybeans, deer eat them when they sour.

I personally have had my kids shoot deer at the feeder here in Louisiana but they do not attract deer, especially bucks, like they do in other states. I do use them just to keep the does around and I find that after a few years of use, the deer are used to them and come at night and in the daylight but only pass by to nibble. We have so much food here. The bucks are nocturnal here anyway, so if you want to kill a buck, leave the feeder and hunt the woods and bayous. Other than that, you might get lucky during the rut because bucks like to be where the does are.

Good luck