View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 12:02 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 959

Ok, well I guess we are starting. Been one thing after another and I had to keep putting this off. I think I already wrote about all the new gear they made us buy, and then after that they passed a new law where they have a special tax for charter boats. And we owe last year too! Welcome to Costa Rica. But now, finally seeing the light, I guess we'll start putting together a boat! The good thing is, the owner of the 40 mold was also hit pretty hard by all the new laws, so he didn't destroy the mold to make a commercial boat yet. So I don't think I'm going to finish the 40 footer first, but I am going to make the 40 foot hull first.

Here is how the hull started. It's been outside in the yard for about 15 years now:

We moved it under the shade, at least half of it. Wow, this thing is heavy and I have never worked on something so big. This will be fun

So to start we made some holes in the ground

And then we are going to put whatever we can find in them to support the mold

Found a bunch of scrap metal at the yard next door. I have been collecting beams for a year now from the recycling place. They have some big stuff. I never really had a plan for why I was collecting them, but I guess it all came together. Harold is happy to be building another boat. And he's good at carrying big heavy beams, there are two guys on the other end

And then here is the 31 bert mold. I'll probably finish the 31 first.

The goal right now is I just want to save enough money to buy the glass to make the hull and sides. I figure it'll take us a month to get this thing setup and ready to do. It is a 38 now, the old widebody 38 bertram they made 30 years back that had the ugly cabin on them. This one will be cooler. Somebody cut the last foot off of the mold, and I'm going to add two more feet so I have a 40. So we're gonna set it up and add 3 feet and see what it looks like ???

Kind of funny, I always thought my first 40 would be wood. But this boat, back when it was in Quepos, was the best boat by far at raising boat. The owner was super cheap, and they only had two white, because the sun faded them out, moldcraft lures. And even with crap gear, it was the boat to beat. I don't know what happened to the boat, the owner didn't take care of the motors at all, and then he abandoned it into the marina. And the marina sold it off, and now it's gone, haven't seen it since. So Quepos needs another one! But this one will be lighter, faster, and catch more fish! I'll post more pictures when I have em!