Thread: Clear Creek WMA
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2017, 01:10 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Good.... There is a fairly good Turkey population.

Bad...... The Turkey get scouted and hunted a lot and my experience is that they are very hard to call in. I have found where a Tom roost one day and when I check back other days there is no gobbling. The property is easy to hunt from the road. Almost all the property has a road where you can be less than 1/2 mile from the farthest spot. So if you find a Tom gobbling.... so can 25 other people. There is no spot where you can walk 1+ miles to get away from other hunters.

Last year, I found a spot that had Toms go to roost [Gobbled] in 4 different spots about 700 yards apart. Next morning, only one gobbled an hour after daylight a 1/4+ mile from the roost.
Clear Creek has had hogs for a long long time, but there are a lot more now than just a couple years ago. The Coyote population is also fairly good judging by the tracks along the roads and hearing them sometimes.

I was not going to hunt CC last Turkey season..... told myself, I was going to hunt somewhere else. But I did put CC down as my 2 nd choice in the lottery.... and I got picked to hunt there. Opening morning I got there very early and as I started walking another vehicle came but turned around and went somewhere else. A Tom had roosted in a tall pine tree on 2 different days, but was not there that morning.

Here are a few pic. The Turkey are there but IMO very hard to kill one. I have killed a fair amount of Toms.... but not at CC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0063.jpg (84.3 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0029.jpg (103.4 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0424.jpg (121.5 KB, 186 views)