View Single Post
Old 10-28-2015, 09:09 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marque View Post
Ive seen and killed more birds in the last two years than any other I have hunted. I'm not that old but I started when I was 7 so I hope that counts for something. But the last two winters were probably the coldest I remember as well. As good as the hunting was, the amount of birds in VBay, Marsh Island, Rockefeller, mind blowing. One morning I drove from the 4 mile to the point and didn't go 30 seconds without scaring up another flock. My brother flys over Marsh Island every day and he said every lake was black with birds. The sanctuaries were packed to the gills. I have to think that hunting pressure plays a bigger role in the mix than everyone would like to admit. High dollar leases are high dollar because they usually don't have 3 other blinds in gun range. Just because there aren't birds where you are hunting doesn't mean there aren't birds down here.

Louisiana has been third in rice production behind Arkansas and California, during my lifetime anyway. Over the years Arkansas has substantially increased its amount of acreage while Louisiana's decreased but that has nothing to do with DU. They could spend their entire budget creating and preserving wetlands in Louisiana but the ducks are never going to see it if they are fat and happy in Arkansas, especially during a mild winter. The last two winters where pretty chilly and I'd classify my last two hunting seasons a excellent to exceptional.

The problem isn't DU. The problem is there are too many hogs for the trough. Organizations like the CCA and DU survive because their members donate. More members means more money. Their survival is dependent upon getting more people to hunt and fish. There all ready too many as it is, thats why I don't have any desire to support either. I realize my point of view is completely selfish but I am not into community hunting and fishing. I am content to be an a$$hole.
30 and 3 or bust.