View Single Post
Old 02-24-2016, 04:58 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampcritterr View Post
I'm looking to setup a rod and reel that will be used almost exclusively for wacky worming. What are some of the setups y'all are using ? I have a Lew's Tourney Pro G in 8.3:1 coming for it. Just trying to decide what the best rod might be.
Save your 8:3:1 Bait Caster for something else. Not as crucial to be able to pick up a lot of line quick with a weightless set up as it is flipping, or a something where you make super long casts. Are you wacky rigging a trick worm type bait or a senko? Senkos are much heavier, and you could get away with throwing them on a baitcaster with lighter line and a soft rod tip. IMO either way senko or light finesse worm or any weightless rig, I'd go with a spinning set up. Once you use one enough it becomes second nature like a bait caster is to you now probably. Way way easier to learn to skip with than a bait caster also. I've got 3 spinning set ups I don't leave home without. 6'6" Med. Abu Vendetta2 w/ Okuma Trio high speed reel, 6'6" Med Abu Veritas 2.0 w/ Okuma Trio, and a 7'4" Med Abu Vendetta2 w/ Okuma Trio. A drop shot stays on one of the 6'6" rods spooled with 30# Power Pro and an 8# fluoro leader (alberto knot). The other 6'6" is for either a shaky head or wacky rig with the same line set up. The 7'4" is for heavier weightless stuff like a senko, fluke, or a split shot rig. Same line set up but I'll bump up the leader to 10# or 12# fluoro if fishing shallow around cover. Sometimes I'll even go straight braid with a TX rig senko and flip brush like you would a jig. Can skip that weightless senko WAY back in places you cant flip. And the 30# braid will break your rod before you break your knot.