View Single Post
Old 04-11-2016, 03:55 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

I currently live in Lafayette (born and raised here), but I've also lived in Baton Rouge, Alexandria, Shreveport and Lake Charles, and spend a lot of time in and fishing out of Houma as well as the Golden Meadow area.

I do love Lafayette, I think it's the best city in Louisiana on it's own merits, but it is a little bit of a hike to get to the salt. I like to sight fish and there isn't much of that around Vermillion Bay so I'm constantly driving West to Calcasieu or East for at least 2 hours. If youre number one priority is being close to coastal fishing and hunting I wouldn't make Lafayette the first choice, however if you want a fantastic place to live that isn't too far from the outdoors Lafayette is awesome. Food, Culture, Festivals, beautiful women, good music scene etc. Lafayette is pretty safe from storm surges, although we'll get some wind damage. Traffic can suck in some areas but if you're a retirement age male I don't recon an easy trip to the mall is high on your priority list.

Lake Charles was a nice place to live, good people, the culture is a bit different because of Texas influences, not bad, just different. Lake Charles has the Calcasieu Estuary right freaking there and is a short hop to Toledo Bend, Sabine Lake, excellent freshwater fishing at Laccasine and some good duck hunting around too. The economy there is doing well right now too. Even though Lake Charles right on the Calcasieu Estuary, there's plenty of places to live where you wouldn't have to be fearful of storm surges etc (and plenty where you would), just watch your elevations and fins a house that isn't in a flood zone, that insurance has gotten $$. For a Jumping Off point to the outdoors Lake Charles is hard to beat without putting yourself at considerably more risk of storm surges/flooding.

Baton Rouge - The only redeeming thing about it is LSU sports. Way too much traffic and not much cultural vibe, I found it to be very white bread. Not someplace I'd get excited about moving to

Alexandria - Not even if you held a gun to my head. The place they stick it when the earth gets an enema.

Shreveport - Only slightly better than Alexandria, way too far from the coast.

Houma, I could live there if fishing was my number one priority, more prone to flooding and surges than most of Lake Charles and all of Lafayette. Not as much to do other than fishing as in Lafayette or Lake Charles, but Cocodrie, Dulac and Dularge can sure be attractive.

Golden Meadow area, fantastic for the outdoors but way to susceptible to storms for me.

The Northshore area is very nice and puts you within an easy drive to a LOT of fantastic fishing. Everything from Myrtle Grove to Venice and Shell Beach, Hopedale and Delecroix. Also close to NOLA if you want a taste of the City.

All of the above have plenty of small satellite towns that usually cost less to live in and still keep you close to the amenities of the various cities.