Thread: Baltimore
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 11:45 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marque View Post
I find it interesting that every time there is a questionable incident involving police most white people I know are willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the policeman. I suspect its because most of them have never had a negitive encounter or been harassed by a cop. I don't think the same can be said for the majority of blacks in the United States. Most of us live in out own little worlds and only catch a glimpse of what life outside of it is like. Its impossible for most of us to understand why people with riot and loot their own communities but none of us come from that world. Ever been to Baltimore? Its a lawless war zone. If I grew up there and all I knew was that way of life, I would probably not care if one day it was burned down. If every time I saw a cop I had to worry about being hassled for being young and black I would probably be pissed off about it. All it takes is one encounter with a abusive LEO to change your perspective. If you have never had your rights violated by a power hungry man child with a badge its an eye opening experience. If it happened to most of us, we would report it through the proper channels or get a lawyer and something would be done about it. Do you think the same could be said for the average black kid in any intercity? I am not in anyway defending whats going on, but I understand why its happening. Its easy to sit back and judge these people, assume that they are all living off the government and selling drugs and are content doing it. It is just not that simple. Imagine growing up abject poverty, live amongst pimps, addicts, drug dealers, have no access to decent education, have no real positive roll models to look up to and have had a front row seat to disfunction your entire life. What would your perspective be? Yes, there are exceptional people that pull themselves out of it but the majority of people are not exceptional. Most people of any color are just average. The average person I know just want to fit in to their surroundings and I think this pretty much explains why the problems in the intercity perpetuate themselves. I don't know what the solution is, maybe there isn't one, but I can't say that I blame them for being pissed. Children scream and holler when they want attention because they don't know any other way to get it, rioting is pretty much the same thing. It's not going to solve anything but it is what happens when the disempowered become fed up with the status quo. Its happened for centuries, it is human nature.
" Children scream and holler when they want attention because they don't know any other way to get it, rioting is pretty much the same thing."

You are somewhat correct here. The part you are missing is children with no discipline act this way. They are acting like a bunch of unruly little kids when they should be acting like responsible adults. No one taught them better and, that starts at home. So, before I go feeling guilty of being white, I'll say that a bunch of people's parents failed them terribly.