Thread: Swamp People
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Redfish

Cash: 678

Ok, I'm sure it's not just me. I'm a pretty big fan of the show, and regularly check out the various clips they have of it on YouTube. I read the comments, and post some myself. Most of the comments are positive, and the show has lots of fans from all over. However some people just can't keep their stupidity to themselves, and they start bashing. It's one thing if they dislike the show, I mean they bash us Cajuns as a whole. Of course they call us all rednecks, because they don't have a clue who Cajuns are. One site I came across even called us hillbillies! The nearest hill I know of is Avery Island. Not much else around here. Anyway, to be clear, I don't have a problem with rednecks. I have redneck relatives and buddies. That's not the "insult" part. They throw out the same old, tired stereotypes about us boinkin' our cousins (or sisters), no education, knuckle draggers, inbreeders, etc. I've responded and set some straight. Told one just where he could shove his condescending, elitist attitude. I know it's silly, but I just can't help but get pissed off when people insult Cajuns. That's my people! Not just You Tube either. Just google "Swamp People Discussion Forums" and you get lots of sites, and most are either positive comments on the threads, or amused by the accents. Others insult the cast, and some insult US in general, Cajuns, Rednecks, all the same. I know it's petty, and I'll never meet these morons in person. I'm not a cry baby, but man, it just makes me want to slap them when they start insulting our culture. There! Got it off my chest! Any of you run across the same thing? Feel the same way?