View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallarddecoyryt View Post
They burned our marsh 2 weeks ago. The weekend sucked. Ducks didn't want to work. But that was the case for many people in the area. Talked to several other groups and all said the same thing. Mon and Tues limits both days with most being big ducks. I don't see the reasoning in doing at this time of the year. Miami says it's something to do with the gators and collecting the eggs. I do know that burning will benefit in the long run. Hell the marsh is already growing it's 2ft tall in 2 weeks.
You answered you rown question

Historically the marsh would have most often in late spring early summer when lightning is most common. I read some surveyors notes from the mid 1800s and he was noting that they were close to finishing the project but they may have to put off the project if the the annual wildfires come through the area. This was in the longleaf pine region near what is now Kisatchie NF. It is likely that all burned as well as the 2+ million acres of prairie east of there and the marsh as well. There wouldn't have been much to stop the fire. Met a dude from Missouri and they go out and find old stumps of pines and dig them up and check the rings and the fire scars on these old stumps. Some of the longleaf pines dated back to the 1500s For the most part that region on average burned every 2 years since the 1500s and some more than once a year. Prett cool stuff. Native Americans also set fires (cool story bro)