View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 07:35 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2OFwlKlr View Post
Farmers used to pre-sprout rice, before there were chemicals to control the "wild" red and black rice that were harmful to there conventional rice crop. Soak it, till it started to "pip", or sprout, then fly it in the water in the field. The water was then drained, the root would turn to find moisture, the mud, then a few days later water was pumped back on the field. This allowed the conventional rice a head start over the red and black rice in the ground, by not allowing the red and black rice to start a root, because it did not know where the ground was in the water.

If you get what I'm saying, then by planting your rice in the water, it will all sprout, but only a small percentage will actually make a root and grow. Rice when planted in water allows it to sprout sooner because it is a hard seed, but the water has to be removed for it's root to find the soil and establish a root base, then water is reapplied.

So, my suggestion is throw some in the water if water control is not an

option, some may grow, but also throw some on the bank when the water level drops, it will sprout with just moisture in the soil also, and then when the water level rises it will continue to grow and head out.

Sorry, long winded, if you need more info, pm me.
Can you sprout them and grow them else where and re-plant them in the water like the Vietnamese do?