View Single Post
Old 03-03-2016, 07:33 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Fluoro is not going to cast as good as mono, conditioners will help though. Any bait you want to float (topwater) or keep higher in the water column (maybe you wanted to keep a jerkbait or crank bait from running as deep), you wouldn't want to use fluoro. Fluoro sinks, mono & braid will float more. For example a lot of people will throw a C-rig with fluoro as their mainline, and mono as their leader material because it will float the bait behind the sinker more than a fluoro leader.

With that said it usually goes like this:
Fluoro doesn't stretch like mono, so you'll get better hook sets on long casts.
The same diameter fluoro will run deeper than mono with the same crank bait.
The smaller diameter fluoro will run a bait deeper than a larger diameter.
Fluoro is less visible than mono
You can do everything possible, but you're still going to have some line management issues with fluoro. Even more so on spinning gear. How you spool it up is crucial

As far as brands I usually go with Seagaur red label. 100% because it's cheaper than others lol. I like the vicious also for the price. However I bought a spool of 8# & 10# FC Sniper last year for leader material for my spinning gear, and that stuff has WAY more forgiveness (not as stiff and wire feeling) than the other brands I tried. Not sure if it's because it was lighter line than what I use in the other brands or if it's just a better line.

As far as knots the palomar works fine. For braid to fluoro the Alberto knot is the bee's knees.

I do feel like I get more bites in clear water since I've started using fluoro. Especially on spinning gear.

The only things I wont use fluoro with are: Any topwater walking/popper style plug (mono, or braid with mono leader), Frogs (straight braid 65#), buzzbait/ribbit (straight braid 65#), & C-rig leader material (12-17#mono).

I will throw fluoro exclusively on: Spinnerbait/swim jig (12-17#), traps/crankbaits (10-15# depending on depth), Texas rig (12-17#), and sometimes if the water is clear I'll even flip and punch grass with heavy fluoro (20-25#).

If you take one thing from any of this take this. RE-TIE, RE-TIE, RE-TIE. It is more abrasion resistant than mono but if you do knick it, it will break. Also, with less memory more pressure gets put on the knot. I kick myself all the time for not doing it as often as I should, but it's a great practice to start doing. Cut a few feet up too, not just cut an inch up and re-tie.