View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 12:40 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by I make oil View Post
Check your wires and fuse. Many times wires/connections corrode and break. This is especially true when the wire is undersized to begin with. When you put the motor on you are passing the voltage thru a smaller path (Choking it if you will) This causes heat which further causes more problems. Think about the flow of electricity as water when you constrict it you get less flow but with electricty additionally when you constrict it you get heat.

That trolling motor should work fine for your needs. I recommend you rewire from your batteries to the trolling motor and check/replace your plug and fuses/breakers. I use breakers on all of my trolling motors. Use bigger wire than required and solder you connections. If you do that you will not likely ever have another problem. The answer is not going to a bigger trolling motor. If you do go to a bigger trolling motor you'll need to rewire anyways. If you go ahead and rewire it now and size it for a 36volt motor if you still not happy you'll already have it wired for a bigger trolling motor.
Good point. A corroded wire will also cause to circuit breaker to trip. Does your Trolling motor start working again after it "cools" down for a couple of minutes? If so, this is the circuit breaker "resetting" [some do this] after it cools down.