View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,086
Thumbs up Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedatiger View Post
Ok, I probably don't look like it but I used to compete in bench press competitions in college. When we reached plateaus we would work out with negative sets for about a week. If you're not familiar with them - basically you need to get in a cage rack and use whatever weight you believe your max to be. You'll need at least 2 spotters (3 is better) and have your spotters give you the weight at full extension, with you controlling the weight as slowly as possible on the way down - repeating 3-5 times.

If that doesn't work, give it a rest for a week or two then go at it again.
X2.
We did negatives in college.... What a workout!! Def have u some spotters.
We did lock outs also..... Spotters lower the bar to Ur chest u push it up..... Bout 65-85% of max. 8-10 reps 3-4 sets. 2 x week for 2-3 weeks.
Also we used bands attached to the end of bar secured to floor for safety. And chains are also a safer option.
Maxing out is all about the preparation.... Meaning when u decide to max out don't waste reps getting warm or building up to Ur final attempt.
If Ur going for max reps.... Muscle endurance is it key!!
Work urself to fatigue with low weight 2 x week .... We would take 135 on bar and rep out at the end of the session..... Keep track of how many reps u get to each time.
My max in college was 395 on bench.... Took 5 years to get there. But I got it! Lol