View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 02:44 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 6,228
Default 5-8-18 Now Thats Wat Im Talking About!

Great trip although somewhat embarrassing but get to that part in a sec. Get to Cal Point just before they open and as I'm walking to put my bucket down she shows up so I talk for a sec get my shrimp and I'm off. tide is really low which kinda ruined my first plan as I was thinking ill take advantage of this flat bottom marsh rig with 25hp suziki I get back up in water ive had trouble with in bay boat. well I get back there and reds are busting bait big time but its so shallow I'm fighting the trolling motor hitting the bottom . after a dozen cast and only one good bite to show for it I decide that if there is ever a day to take this rig into the lake its today cause wind is really light. I take off for northeast corner I'm always posting about. first cast is a really nice trout and I still had net strapped down so had to fight that too but finally get it into the boat turn around grab dig in pole and throw it in the water and it holds. caught one more trout but trash fish were getting to it before trout so I pick up dig in rod and move 20-30 yds out. this time instead of having slip shot 6" above hook I raise it half way between hook and cork so shrimp can maybe swim away from the little trash fish more. well it worked. them shrimp were dancing all around my cork runnin for their lives and then bam! when they hit u better be holding tight to ur rod! I'm fishing 3 1/2 - 4 feet deep in 5-6 feet 0f water now. I notice those trash fish put a hurtin on my live shrimp and I only got a 1/2 quart this am. I have 8-9 nice trout and my cork keeps slippin down my line and trout are hitting better if i stay fishin 4 feet deep or so. i go to get a new cork out of my bag and they are in the same place i put my truck keys everytime, my ocd gets the better of me, and i notice my keys aint there. i look at my watch and its 830 i have 8-9 trout only a few shrimp left and then it hits me. I never pulled my truck out of the launch! yes i admit i can not believe i did it either and my heart literally goes from my chest to my stomach! I'm thinking man i wish id stayed closer to launch wind has picked up some but thankfully just a light northwest wind with a little chop so i open the ole suziki up son. that 25 hp could not run fast enough but it is hauling it with that light chop! idk why i didn't just grab my phone and call i guess cause i knew i was gonna get some more shrimp anyway or some pogie by the launch. idk why i didn't but it was a long 15 minute ride back to the point i tell u that. as i get close i can see big red out in the parkin lot in a place i knew ive never parked so immediately knew someone moved it for me. i did remember shutting it off like i usually do launching its when i pick up i leave running with ac on. walk out to parkin lot to it and all is good except no keys and the spare i have only only unlocks the doors, go back up inside store and same lady that was there yesterday when i was cleaning fish from surf trip was like i cant believe u did that u always seem so organized. yea that added a little more embarrassment but same time relief. luckily the ole boys launching brand new nautic star right after me told her about it so it wasn't sittin there long. man i was thinking the worse for sure. did emergency brake and gear shift hold or is it in the water??? did they call a wrecker and have it towed off?? I'm thinking well keys are in it so hopefully someone moved it and thanks to all involved they did. THANK YOU!!! now my mind is back on fishing cause its barely 9am. i grab another 1/2 quart shrimp but no way I'm runnin all the way back to that north east reef in this rig just to have wind blow me later or worse no more bite and i know that that bite on that reef usually plays out between 730 and 830 anyway. many many times have limited out by those times but also a lot of times fished til 10 not catching another trout. so i decide to play around by the launch instead where i almost went first anyway and would have if wind been bad. but wind is still light as can be and i troll for maybe 20 minutes before catching first trout. well i never pushed my slip shot back down closer to hook and when these trout hit they almost take rod out of ur hands. matter of fact i didn't wipe slime off good from a previous trout and one almost did just that. by 10 am i have #15 trout in the box one 24" red and one good filleting size flounder. almost went to launch but I'm having fun and could literally use trolling motor to get back to launch and still have quite a few shrimp. bite has gotten slower so i move back west maybe 25 yards start putting 2 and even 3 shrimp on at a time trying to use em up and there they are again. some of the trout even better than a few in box. easily caught 20 trout right there and with the ones early ive landed over 30 trout. cool thing is only caught 3 or 4 that didn't make 12" and almost all were easy 2 pound fish. Anyway i knew only way id leave if i didn't have shrimp so 11- 1115 i dump the rest overboard and head for launch. i wanted to and planned to take pics but by time i even thought about it id done cleaned 10 trout and only 5 of them and red and flounder left so i finished cleaning and back home for noon to my girlfriends fried redfish and trout from surf trip that I'm munching on as i post this. of course all my fish i cleaned i gave to the nice lady that works at the launch. somehow she never got any from me but ive given the other lady several bags of fish over last few years. she was like I'm so glad i moved ur truck, lol. id given them to her anyway but likely would of waited to clean these this evening like i always do after lunch and a nap when it cools down but i knew she would be leaving by 2 pm. I'm so glad the lake is back right as my last couple trips not too good. one was a dink fest with over 25 trout caught with only two keepers and the other was about the same number but 14"-15 1/2" reds which made it another dink fest. Lake is good on north end! i like it when i don't have to run too far. now i have to put new axle, springs, fenders, lights, everthing except boards and the iron they mount to which was replaced a couple years ago, on my bay boat trailer i wish id just done all then. but all the new parts are there just have to put the time in putting it all back together. i tell u though my 7 days off half over with and its gonna be hard to not launch this marsh rig in am and go catch some more. there is always Thursday or whenever for trailer lol. seriously it was so easy ill likely be back out there in am. especially if winds are forecast to be light again! OK everyone i know some will say they cant believe i left that truck at launch but hopefully one more out there will admit they have too lol. In my defense, usually when i fish out of this rig is on the river at a private launch and ill just leave trailer in water sometimes so i just load it right back up when done. excuses, excuses, i know! Dad didn't want to fish out of small boat in saltwater cause he said too much like work. and when its windy it can be but it was nothing like work today catching right by the launch in 5mph winds it was easy and fun! Go Get Em! Try to remember pics next time. i just like to see pics when i read a post and there has not been much posting lately sry so long just had a good one.