Thread: Wiers Opening?
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 06:10 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post
I agree with this, but will say that the gates should be open by the time temperature is a relevant hazard.

I will also say that after living on the other side of the state for years the impact saltwater has on a marsh without a barrier system (whether it be weirs, levees, or islands) is truly devastating. My family has been on a 10 square mile lease for the last 50 years and the marsh is 75% gone. I used to hunt pot holes that are now lakes. Every year we rebuild blinds because the land the blinds used to sit on has receded 20 yds.They have recently built the giant wall, and opened the Caernarvon Canal to pump fresh water and silt in from the Mississippi but it is way too little too late. The Gulf is knocking on the back door of land that used to be very high and dry. To see La wetlands dissappear like that is disheartening.

I understand the struggle of crabbers and shrimpers, I was one for 3 years and grew up in the seafood sales industry. There are other places to catch shrimp and other areas that marine life lives then behind the weirs though.

You are talking about two different monsters .....9o% of the east erosion is from changing water ways to build cites underwater level

Here on west side do not have a marsh erosion problem and our marshes were top shelf before Rita and Ike

Our east side Marshes are not in any kind of close gate choke off lake problem

This coming from guys who hunt, fish and live off that marsh along with a biologist