Thread: Wiers Opening?
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 11:05 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenner18 View Post
In 2003 and 2011 our entire marsh froze for more than one day ,so yes a freeze has occurred twice in the past ten years in our area. Both years had temps in the 20's .

Widgeon grass can survive in salinity as high as 30 ppt ,while currently Big Lake is running around 21 ppt.

I have fished Big Lake for at least 12 yrs now and this has been the worst year I can recall as far as catches ,for whatever the reason .

I truly believe man should not fool with what nature created. I grew up fishing Black Bayou in the Vinton area . Bass fishing was spectacular until man decided to block off cuts into the area . Along came hurricane rita and filled the marshes with saltwater ,which had no escape due to the blockages man created . Now most of the areas where bass once were are inhabited by redfish .

Im no marine biologist .These are just things I have seen with my own eyes that have occurred in the past twenty or so years in our area.
Not saying a freeze won't happen. I AM SAYING A FREEZE WILL NOT OCCUR DURING THE TIME THAT SHRIMP ARE STILL IN THE MARSHES. But hey if you think that out of 10 years, 4 days of frozen marsh and a very slight possibility that the weirs weren't open that fall is worth talking about out of the other 3,646 days of saltwater intrusion then so be it.

As far as those blockages you speak of, I agree they should be allowed to drain as well. Very likely that if those blockages weren't there you would have probably been catching reds much sooner than Rita. A couple tropical storms and high tides and that area would have been eaten up with the salt much sooner.

It's the big picture..... risk vs reward. I'm sure when the salinity levels are too high the biologist aren't giving 2 *****s that W can't go throw his cast net at the weirs or take his customers to go catch some reds! Thousands of acres of coastal protection is priority.