Thread: Wiers Opening?
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 08:50 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstulb View Post
It really is all political don't want to name names but certain people are members of a hunting club back there that have political clout. They never fish calcasieu unless guided a dozen times a year and honestly don't know nor care about the estuary. There duck numbers were down so they started locking down the weirs to keep the salt out.

I believe the weir system used to be managed by either WLF or the Core, and may still be but political figures are def making the calls. They have never had the gates closed so frequently over the past three years. And it is/will effect the fishing due to lack of shrimp run .Plain and Simple-

They are locking it down strictly to keep,the salt out to increase bird #'s-
If you owned land back there and were a rice farmer, would you really want saline water on your rice fields?

But you are correct by saying its all for ducks. That is what Cameron Prairie NWR and Sabine are here for - management of waterfowl. If you get saltwater in your moist-soil units you are managing for waterfowl, it kills it plain and simple which means no food for ducks and less waterfowl for you and I to shoot. Lose lose to me