Thread: The Old Man
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 12:48 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 647

Thanks very much again y'all. I didn't have that high of an opinion of this one. It just sets the background of everything, so it had to be told. I think I'll just keep writing as time allows. You may soon be seeing one or perhaps more of these in a magazine near you. If they're all well received, I'll wait 'til I have enough and put them together and see if anyone wants to publish it. My father wrote 2 books and it was hell on him. So I'll let this one write itself, one piece at a time. If history is any guide, I won't be writing much when the Summer ends.

I've been travellin' lately soakin' up some Yankee history. I'm in Boston now. It's a tough town to figure. I can't reckon if I despise it as the belly of the Kennedy/Kerry beast or if I love it as the cradle of great Revolutionary thinkers like John Adams. Of the first 2 colonies, Virginia gets my vote as tops of course. The nightlife here is rather lame. If New York is the city that never sleeps, and New Orleans is the city where bars never close, Beantown is the city that goes to bed early. I watched the sunset today from the roof of my hotel. With Fenway Park to my left and Boston Common to my right, all bathed in golden colors, it was an auspicious beginning to this leg of my trip.

I'll be walking the Freedom Trail tomorrow, to "Old Ironsides", the U.S.S Constitution, and finally to the Bunker Hill Monument. I just can't reckon why they still call it Bunker Hill, when the battle was obviously fought on Breed's Hill. Cooler name I guess.