View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 08:25 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
You got a citable source fo dat widom?
Its in the book Rising Tide, but also BTNEP has a calendar for 2014 they just put out and he is mentioned there as well.

I am looking for this other publication that was put out by a bunch of Louisiana naturalists and it talks about Louis Jacques Judice who talks about his adventures down Bayou Lafourche in the late 1700s. He was commissioned by the Spanish governor when La was part of Spain, to explore the "Lafourche des Chetimaches district" and determine if it was suitable for settling.
This is the quote I have from the calendar for Judice when he expolored Bayou Lafourche area:

"The natural levees were small grasslands or prairies one or two arpents wide occupied by turkey, deer, wolves, prairie chicken, bison, cougar, and the Carolina Parakeet. Along the bayou were plentiful feathered game of all varieties including ducks, wood ducks, mergansers, teal, white and grey ibises, and cormorants in great numbers"

I will post the rest when I track it down. Good stuff - bison, cougar, wolves, prairie chickens, all down in Lafrourche