View Single Post
Old 08-30-2016, 07:35 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Trailer power cord in big.... 3- 10 ga wires rated for 30 amps. Breaker inside trailer is only 15 amps.

I think my extension cord is 12 ga.

I have also posted on another site and gotten more good advice.

Here is what I did today.....
This morning I took the tarp off the trailer to let the top dry so I could do all the caulking.

While waiting, I turned the A/C on about 8 AM. It ran good and cooled the trailer down good. After running about 15 minutes, the evaporator drain water started draining down the side of the trailer....this is normal. But, about 9 AM the compressor shut down.

After I completed the caulking, it was time to wash the A/C coils on the roof. First I straighten a few bent vanes on the coil...it was not very many. First I mixed up some soapy water for the first wash. This remove a fair amount of dirt.

I then sprayed down the coils with the coil cleaner solution. By the time I finished spraying, the solution was starting to foam. It foamed fairly good. I wish I would have had my phone to take a picture, but I was not going to climb down because it was almost time to wash the chemicals off.

This cleaning removed even more dirt. While washing it down [4 or 5 times.] I also cleaned behind the coils and got a bunch of leaves and crud washed out.

Success...... I ran the A/C for 2 hours during the hottest part of the day. It worked good. Outside temp was about 92-93 and the trailer was on the driveway in the sun.

A/C outlet temp was about 67 F at first and cooled down to 65 F after 30 minutes. The trailer got down to about 77 F after an hour. Edit.... A/C running for 3+ hours....at 6:45 PM, temp down to 70 F.

????.... the water from the evaporator coils never drained off the side of the trailer. Was this water evaporating that fast? I could see droplets of water on the evaporator coils.

The evaporator coil is still fairly dirty.... after I cleaned it with the vacuum cleaner. How should I clean this coil? Do I need to take the "control box" inside the trailer off to get to the coils better? I tried to remove 2 of the screws from the A/C cover on top of the trailer.... but they were rusted bad and did not move. Maybe if I hit on the screws with a hammer I could loosen them up.
Or... I might be able to get my hand up there to use a tooth brush and scrape off some [a lot ???] of the dirt.

Now the bad..... My caulking did not stop the water leak. I think I have narrowed the leak down to one small area. It looks sealed but somewhere it is leaking. I am letting it dry now before I get up there to do some more sealing.