Thread: Any UL grads?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,194

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
That might be fitting for business/accounting, but with a specialized degree(engineering, nursing, education, etc.) from the smaller schools, you can go anywhere you want and find a good job
I think it also depends on where you want to live/work. For example in Dallas/Houston an engineering degree from aTm would be looked at more favorably than ULL/LSU. If you are in a hot field like Nursing you can find a job with an Our Lady of the Lake degree. It does matter in professional fields (law, business, doctor, etc..) in my opinion. Does it matter in the oil field? Probably not near as much unless he wanted to move into management in one of the mega Texas cities.

At the end of the day, how you perform and how motivated you are will determine your success not where you went to school. However for my kids, I want the best education I can afford and I want to give them every advantage I can possibly give them. I went to Southeastern in Hammond. No matter what any of us say on this thread a degree from SLU in Hammond or ULL in Lafy does not measure up to a degree from Tulane, Rice, UT or any of the more expensive schools. Is it worth it? That is a debate we could have for weeks and not agree. It will not be worth it to some people and it will to others.

My point was if he can get a free ride, get the best free ride that he can get and then make the most of it. Do not pick a school because your friends are going there or becauase of what you think the girls will be like or traffic. Those reasons would concern me. Traffic is bad everywhere you go and girls are hot at every campus.