Thread: UN arms treaty
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 09:01 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

I've read a lot of chest thumping on the internet, but I have my doubts. Did anyone resist the unconstitutional confiscations during Katrina or did they just roll over?

Those unwilling to use the ballot box to resist tyranny now are probably not made of the stuff required to take more extreme measures even if warranted by exigent circumstances. Those overly inclined to rush to extreme measures seem to me more like hot heads more likely to be quickly extinguished rather than like our founding fathers who demonstrated great patience and only took up arms with great reluctance once all other possibilities had been exhausted.

I think all citizens who believe deeply in the 2nd amendment would do well to study history and articulate for themselves and their posterity the key distinctions between the founding fathers and modern hot heads like the Branch Davidians, Randy Weaver, Eric Rudolph, and Timothy McVeigh. The mere presence of government abuse of power does not make extreme measures morally justified or wise.