View Single Post
Old 07-29-2015, 02:33 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
I was reading the post earlier about guys losing there leases at the last minute and a few other replies. Got me thinking.

What are your thoughts on the future of waterfowl hunting in Southwest La?

What has Duck Dynasty done for the sport? What has the prices of leases done for the sport? What can be done for better hunting in public areas? What can be done for better management practices? What has crawfishing done to hunting? What has big money done?

How can we better the sport of waterfowling in Sportsmans Paradise?
First off, let me say I do not see this happening ever in LA. But some states such as KS, have (I assume state funded) departments specifically set up to lease private land from land owners all over the state (over 1 million acres). They then take these areas and make them "walk in hunting areas" open to the public (Not counting the additional WMA's, refuges, rivers, lakes, or whatever else that's public). Each year they put out an atlas listing all the areas. As far as I know, the land owners aren't forced to lease anything, so if you were already on a lease you wouldn't have to worry about the state coming behind you the next year and buying you out if the owner didn't want this. Now could the state offer the owner more money and he lease to them rather than an individual? Probably. But the state probably doesn't have the same mindset as the guy / company here in LA that has a full retard check book that will look for the best areas and out bid whoever he wants. Now would all of this cut down on the rude / a-hole public land guys? No, but it would sure spread them out. Would it make the price of leases come down? Sure, the gar hole leases that people are giving ridiculous amounts of money to kill 60 birds a year just so they don't have to deal with the boat launch at the refuges would eventually go down, but a good blind is a good blind and hard to come by. So people would still get in line to pay top dollar for a good spot. But maybe eventually this would at least separate (by prices) a good blind from a mud hole with decoys.