View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 01:28 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
Talked to lots of people that hammered them on the beach Wednesday and Thursday. Those were the 2 days to get em. Gotta wait on next north winds. It's over now.
I went to the beach Thur. and fished from 6:30 to 1 pm. using my boat so I could fish different spots easier. The water was calm and just a slight wind from the N to NE and stayed that way all day.The water color was slightly dirty... green/brown with 6" to 10" visibility.

I started fishing a little West of Holly beach at the rocks. I threw soft plastic in a variety of colors and types for the first 1.5 hours and did not get a bite. I fished almost to the west end of the rocks and the water was slightly "browner" on the west end... but still good color.

I talked with 4 guys in a boat using live shrimp. They said they had caught 2 specks and 4 Reds in the first hour that morning. I started looking for bait and at the third spot I found water that looked like there was bait so I threw my net. I got 5 shad about 3" long. After 5 more throws I had a couple dozen to start with.

It took several hours to catch two 16" specks. I did hook a big Red, but I could not keep it away from the trolling motor and my line broke.

I caught lots of Sail cats and hard heads.... maybe I need to give them a try. I fished several spots back at the Jetties and along the ship channel, but only caught more catfish.

I was surprised at how few people were fishing the beach. I only saw 6-8 boats and maybe 8 waders. By late morning, I talked with two other boat that said they had only caught a few fish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1785.jpg (48.9 KB, 687 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1792.jpg (40.2 KB, 685 views)