View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 07:30 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,074

The first time your boat gets "lit up" by a barge captain is startling. The whole interior is suddenly bright as day. We eventually got accustomed to it as we came down the rivers. Our second day meant our second lock. I'd had all night to review & had a few changes in mind. Since my friend was at the peak of his ability, then the rest of us would adjust.

I moved extra fenders (really cute ones made from used ATV tires) to the front corners of the bow. I showed the girls how to pull the skiff up (sideways) next to the transom. We did this with a long rope that reached to the stern cleat of the skiff. On one side only, as the rope was pulled in, the skiff simply folded up and fit nicely across the houseboats aft. Next I broke out 2, longer ropes & tied one end to the center cleat. I made sure the rope stayed outside of the many rail posts as I led it to the bow & coiled the rest up by the corners. This needs to be done on port & starboard, because you never know if the lockmaster will sometimes specify one side or the other in the lock. We were ready for round 2.

My bud is one of those guys who had rather "die" than look bad. The previous day had destroyed his image of himself. "Don’t worry,” I said, "We will shine on this one" (I hoped).

We passed the Golconda marina by, (this would come back & bite us), and approached the lock. 2 miles out I radioed the LM & he cleared us to enter a chamber. I picked the starboard side so I could coach thru the door to my friend. The ladies took their position at the stern. In we went. As we cleared the gates, the skiff was folded in, as the power was reduced. "Just hit that bollard with the corner of the bow & go into neutral I coached. THIS he could do & he turned towards the wall. "Cut the power,” I shouted & he did. As we hit, (not so hard), the little tires took the impact & scrape. I looped the rope over the bollard & began walking to the center cleat, taking in the slack. The boat fell in sideways & we were "locked". The only show this LM got was the sight of 4 GIANT smiles & some high 5s.

That was the best part of the day but Paducah lay ahead.