View Single Post
Old 10-04-2018, 01:10 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 959

And here's some pictures from Wednesday (today). We got all the windows out. This was really hard honestly, all the frames had corroded screws with weird square heads, and it was a nightmare getting them out. And then they were all glued in. It was just tough.

And then the reason the inside of the cabin was so nasty is there was a water leak in the floor of the flybridge. On striping down the interior, I learned (and also larry (tht member who has helped me a ton) told me) that the cabin is all balsa cored. i thought it was completely rotten, but there were only three smaller areas that were rotten. We will get all that sanded tomorrow and put some divinycell in the hole hopefully tomorrow. Here are some pictures. Yes I cut the back wall of the cabin halfway out....

A good surprise. I was going to rip out the whole back wall of the cabin, but after I started cutting I found out that the back wall is foam cored. I am blown away that Hatteras was that far in front of the foam cored tech, this has to be one of the first foam cored boats. Larry (my THT hatteras guide) also let me know the bulkheads are probably cored too. This boat is actually going to be fairly light for it's size. Here is a picture of when I discovered the back wall was divinycell.

And I wish I had a before picture. We bulldozed the whole upstairs. It had a 1 inch plywood console with a trillion switches and things, and I don't know that any of them worked. I am going to simplify this alot. For as impressed as I have been with the rest of the build, I don't know why they put a 1000 pound console upstairs with uncured plywood that absorbed a ton of water. There were cable everywhere, half of them hooked up half of them rotten. It's easier to just start over. Going to make a cool console upstairs, all foam cored and just what I need without all the switches and lights. Don't have a before shot, but this is the after.

Well that was the first two days of work. My last day of class is tomorrow (it's been a one month course), so next week it's going to look like we supercharged the build. I'm feeling the pressure so we are going to get this thing together quickly!