SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:12 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,303
Default oil in galveston

according to the news this evening there have been some tar balls on chrystal beach on bolivar.they say its from the oil spill.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

I'm no expert but, I think that low pressure system is the main culprit behind all this new oil being discovered.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:18 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
I'm no expert but, I think that low pressure system is the main culprit behind all this new oil being discovered.
I truly believe that too.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophytroutman View Post
according to the news this evening there have been some tar balls on chrystal beach on bolivar.they say its from the oil spill.

From past experaice.... Like 15 years ago...until today

There has always been tar ball wash up in Cameron and Holly Beach area for years..... Dad told me they have found tar ball in the 80's in Lake Aurthur Lake on the beach....

Tar balls are not uncommon for the South West coast but I agree I needs to be looked at...

I would not raise a great concern or freak out about any oil to the west yet....No Oil has been spotted in any heavy form from Marsh Island west..... We have lots of inland and close platforms to who would start reporting any heavy oil passing thought.... I know some small spots or sheen will pass with out calls but heavy oil would get called in...
Old 07-05-2010, 08:25 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
From past experaice.... Like 15 years ago...until today

There has always been tar ball wash up in Cameron and Holly Beach area for years..... Dad told me they have found tar ball in the 80's in Lake Aurthur Lake on the beach....

Tar balls are not uncommon for the South West coast but I agree I needs to be looked at...

I would not raise a great concern or freak out about any oil to the west yet....No Oil has been spotted in any heavy form from Marsh Island west..... We have lots of inland and close platforms to who would start reporting any heavy oil passing thought.... I know some small spots or sheen will pass with out calls but heavy oil would get called in...
according to the news they have been checked and confirmed its from the spill.hope they are wrong.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
according to the news they have been checked and confirmed its from the spill.hope they are wrong.

It could be....

Im sure we will be seeing tar balls for a few years to come.... Most are harmless just a pain in the butt when you step on one....

if you go did in the sand off Johnson bayou about 2ft down you will start to see lots of compacted oil or tar balls... Im sure from the hurricanes over the years and natural seepage.....it all adds up....

Hey But if you need help cleaning up in Galveston...call me....Ill be your wing man.....
Old 07-05-2010, 08:44 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
It could be....

Im sure we will be seeing tar balls for a few years to come.... Most are harmless just a pain in the butt when you step on one....

if you go did in the sand off Johnson bayou about 2ft down you will start to see lots of compacted oil or tar balls... Im sure from the hurricanes over the years and natural seepage.....it all adds up....

Hey But if you need help cleaning up in Galveston...call me....Ill be your wing man.....
gotta get them trout outta there and place them out of harms way.lol.hope they get it stopped before hurricane comes through.that would be bad not just for the beaches and marshes.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:25 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 740

Quote:
Yep...Plenty of it in Crystal Beach this weekend.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 650

Some are saying from ships passing through carrying it.

Not unusual to see tarballs on Texas coast, but I have noticed less over the last 10 years or so.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,952

I'm not sure what it takes to be considered heavy oil but I ran through a slick just west of freshwater bayou. The water turned chocolate brown about 20 yards wide and then black oil about 15 yards wide and was a line for as far as I could see. To me, that's a lot of oil.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Man that's sad..............

I can remember in the 70's on Grand Isle, we had to wash our feet off after being on the beach........it just dawned on me what all that was back then.

As a kid we didn't give any thought to oil...........just gave thought to getting our butt whipped by maw maw if we walked in the camp with that black stuff on our feet
Old 07-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007

Saw very stained water close in yesterday, then saw lots of oil mainly mixed in with grass( which was rotten and dead). I work in a downtown tower here in Lake Charles and the USCG has an operations center in our building. Just left the office, the USCG is in dismay and evidentlly has not had to deal with this. Reports were coming in as early as Friday, and ongoing now, mostly by tankers coming threw the channel.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducktrickster View Post
I'm not sure what it takes to be considered heavy oil but I ran through a slick just west of freshwater bayou. The water turned chocolate brown about 20 yards wide and then black oil about 15 yards wide and was a line for as far as I could see. To me, that's a lot of oil.

We think we ran into a slick out of Freshwater a month or so ago..........wish we would have gone closer and invstigated it, but the smell was really strong..........smelled like gear oil.....that your experience too?
Old 07-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
We think we ran into a slick out of Freshwater a month or so ago..........wish we would have gone closer and invstigated it, but the smell was really strong..........smelled like gear oil.....that your experience too?
Yes. but I ran through it. It was about 3 weeks ago. And yes I smelled it long before we ran through it.