SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 02-17-2019, 10:05 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress21 View Post
2014 & 2015 breeding grounds survey showed a very large boost in ducks. None greater than gadwall and green wing teal. Since then it?s been declining. The decline in 2018 was rather large. In the ballpark of 6.5 million ducks. The outlook for this year at the breeding grounds is on track with last year. I believe the LTA?s have stayed somewhat on track the last couple years because of the large boost in birds in 2014 & 2015. But I do also expect that to change in this years survey as well.
I will be you a bushel of crabs its 6 and 60 for this years season

how can you even say 3 and 30 is being considered when the ducks haven't even started heading back to their breeding grounds

they are still eating corn fattening up
Old 02-17-2019, 10:20 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,213

Not trying to hurt anyone’s feelings. Just telling you. It’s really being concidered. Didn’t say it’s happeing. Being concidered.

Over and out.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:53 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

It?s all fake news. Limits could of been 100 per person last year and it wouldn?t have mattered.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:13 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
It?s all fake news. Limits could of been 100 per person last year and it wouldn?t have mattered.
Exactly, the only shortage of ducks is that the ducks are not making it to South LA like in the past.

Only pepole I know taking about this 3 and 30 are butt hurt hunters who lost and or cannot find another good lease.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:43 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

I wish it would go 30 and 3 for a few years. Gotta get rid of some of these bandwagon duck hunters who go buy guns, decoys, and camo the week before the season starts. Or those that bid up leases because they got more money than sense and only know about duck hunting what they've seen on tv. Gotta have that face paint too so they look cool on Facebook.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:59 PM
Great White

Well I do not want it 3 andc30. The type hunters you reference could care less about the limits. Most cannot even blow a call.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:46 PM
Redfish

I didn’t mean to stir up a hornets nest. I’m just passing along the stuff I hear from the ones with the fuzzy nuts up north.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:18 PM
Great White

You did not stir up anything. As I mentioned, the only people who really believe and HOPE FOR the 3 and 30 are the ones that lost their lease, cannot afford a lease or cannot get into a good lease.

IT WILL BE 6 AND 60...BOOK IT
Old 02-17-2019, 04:32 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 921

not only will it be 6/60 next year, but the few leases that actually shot a few birds will double in price since they are in a good spot. bet on that!! lol

folks will double mortgage their house for a good duck lease.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:23 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopete View Post
not only will it be 6/60 next year, but the few leases that actually shot a few birds will double in price since they are in a good spot. bet on that!! lol

folks will double mortgage their house for a good duck lease.
I agree. You will still have the desperate hunters to still pay 5-7 K for a blind and not really kill nothing after opening weekend when the teal leave. Prices are not going down. Lucky for me, I split my lease with 2 others so my share is only 3K which is no issue for me. Matter of fact, I am looking for another lease to pick-up.

I laugh at people that want to pay 1000-2000 total for a lease and still expect to kill 500 plus ducks.

Last edited by all star rod; 02-17-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:08 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,174

Fewest vehicles at Sabine Refuge I have ever seeen this past season. One of my leases borders the refuge on three sides, surrounded by the best open area in the refuge and there were little to no shots fired. My personal blind in that lease was a 800 plus bird blind for years. If I hunted every day I would have been lucky to scratch 100.

Rough year, pray it gets better.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:33 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,970

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
Fewest vehicles at Sabine Refuge I have ever seeen this past season. One of my leases borders the refuge on three sides, surrounded by the best open area in the refuge and there were little to no shots fired. My personal blind in that lease was a 800 plus bird blind for years. If I hunted every day I would have been lucky to scratch 100.

Rough year, pray it gets better.

Across the board this year was pitiful for most and that includes traditionally great blinds rice and marsh. The birds never came bc it takes a perfect weather/water year to get them down this far. The corn in Midwest, major flooding, and lack of weather is my theory on this piss poor season. The season total was 289 for my blind with about 30 geese included in that count mostly teal and a few greys mallards pins. Never seen the 2nd split completely dead from start to finish like it was this season in 20 years of die hard duck hunting. Something is wrong besides the factors I listed bc it?s been a trend for the last 5-6 seasons of steady decline even with good 2nd split fronts. Even bf I had a high $$$ lease I would kill ducks in places you won?t even see a duck today. Why? What is the determining factor..... I don?t point the finger at any one thing in particular just drastic changes in several different things that can alter migration I guess?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2019, 08:37 AM
Great White

Let's hope we have a cold 2019 -2020 duck season with a lot of fronts. Also, hopefully teal season will not be in the temps of high 90's like it was last year.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:00 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
Let's hope we have a cold 2019 -2020 duck season with a lot of fronts. Also, hopefully teal season will not be in the temps of high 90's like it was last year.
And dry
Old 02-21-2019, 10:03 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
And dry
x100
Old 02-21-2019, 11:11 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

Guys

I just getting in from a DU seminar held hear in Abbeville. There were 150 peps there.. DU indicated that Hot Cropping is a fairy tale in the northern states.. Larry Reynolds, the LA WLF Waterfowl study leader was there and indicated that breeding Gadwall was down 30%, but Gadwall was still above the all time low or something like that. The 4 teal duck from 6 for Teal season is off the table... There will be public comment meeting, This monday nite on waterfowlseason dates and other stuff at the Lafayette, LWF office...

If U have something to say, now is the time to do It. Get involved and voice your opinion.... If U don't, U have nothing to b^^tch and moan about. There is an article about the public comment meetings on LA Sportsman Mag. Website. I think there is an other date for the LC area.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:44 PM
Redfish

Maybe a few of the peeps on here will believe what I told them now last week. I mean if DU says it it must be true. DW on the other hand, We just starting rumors to grab peoples blinds... gray ducks is what you guys kill the most of in terms of big ducks. “THE MOST IMPORTANT duck to us along the Mississippi fly way.

And gadwalls were down 37% in 2018 big gun. Last 3 years total double that.
Hot cropping is not a fairy tale. It happens. But it’s been happening for a century. Read the farm bills over the last few decades.
What they “DU” actually meant to say was hot cropping has not grown meaning there isn’t much difference in terms of size of flooded corn area now as there was in the past. If hunters wanna make a difference, Go shoot some red fox in North Dakota this spring. If elnino isn’t with us next winter and it’s dryer than this winter was, thats the only chance of us as Louisiana duck hunters have of seeing anything better than what we’ve seen recently. They looking for opinoins and want us to speak up so do it gentlemen because we’re staring 30 & 3 in the face of you choose to believe it or not.

Last edited by Xpress21; 02-22-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:00 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

Sir

U must be a delta waterfowl zealot. LOL

Larry Reynolds indicated that we are looking at 6 and 60 if I do remember correctly,., But come to the WLF public comment meeting Monday in Laffy and U'll see for yourself. If I remember right, Larry Reynolds indicated that the Adult breeding Gray Duck was down 30%. But that # was still ABOVE the Long Term Average for that species.. He did say the Gray Duck depend on coastal marshes not ricefields for forage and resting area. As we know the saltwater and brackish water marshes of Vermilion and Cameron parishes have been losing thousands of acres a yr. And This yr. They were just not here in the last waterfowl flyover survey.

To me the seminar was a smoke and mirror ****zzz show... Lets face it. When Ducks have water freeze around them, and 5-8" of snow on the ground, they will head south... If the next week water is still frozen, but it gets warm enough for the snow to melt, so they can get to food, they AREN'T going anywhere.

I did learn something tonight... Out of all the puddle ducks, Teal will NOT feed in a dry grain field, Like mallards, Pintail, American Wigedon etc. and All U have to do is get on youtube and watch peps like Bobby Guy, and Outdoor Lmits which both guys have there own U tube channel. They post waterfowl hunting shows and they hunt in Central Kansas. They skull dugged the ducks and geese there in Kansas. A lot of the shows are filmed in flooded standing cornfields. The advent of Ice eaters used in the places that freeze up preventing water to freeze up also isn't helping..

Also 20 yrs ago, we didn't have sugarcane all the way west to LC area. And Above I-10 used to be cotton and sweet potato. Now U have Rice all the way north from I-10 to Missouri. Just my 2 cents based on about 58 yrs of waterfowling experience.

Last edited by biggun; 02-22-2019 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:50 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

I didn't think 30 and 3 was even a possibility under the current framework
Old 02-22-2019, 09:00 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
I didn't think 30 and 3 was even a possibility under the current framework
people just making stuff up

the facts are that the flyway federation will save all of us

and we need to work with Mexico's duck limits. Their season goes til March and they pile up the spoonbills, pintails, and teal and the guide business are popping up all over down there

thats OUR ducks that should be shot in Louisiana!