SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs)

The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs) Discuss everything related to tackle here, including making your own

Old 06-28-2015, 01:22 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 909
Default I need to put together some combo's

It seems most of my rods and reels have gone missing during my latest move... thank goodness I have the tackle boxes!!! I have way more in Lures than I ever did in rods n reels.

Anyway, I need to put together a few in the next couple of weeks. I have been bouncing rods around and I think I am going to pick up some Ugly stick tiger 1 piece rods, they use Fuji parts and are around $55. I had a mix of shimano and ugly stix before, but the shimano's where the cheap fx2 versions, but both worked. I am open to suggestions. A good cheap rod for loaners really.

I am totally clueless what reels to get, damn are there a bunch of reels out there. The Curado's are not in the budget right now but I will probably get a nice combo when my boat is ready. My start date is "August" on the boat build, so that isn't much of a concern now, but these will eventually be my loaner/pre set rigs so it is easy to switch what you are throwing.

I had luck with swedish Abu garcia reels, but from what I understand they are made in China now. I am not sure about the lower end of the Shimano line. I am open to reel suggestions.

I will also probably do a couple of spinning combo's, I prefer bait cast because of the control, but sometimes a spinner is good for live bait. I don't know how many times I flung live bait off of a baitcast setup...

I know I will also be stuck getting a Zebco reel... I would rather spend the money than undo bird nests all weekend.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:50 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Will these rods & reels be used in Saltwater?

This will make a big difference on what reel people recommend.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:53 AM
Trophy Trout

Nearly 100% salt
Old 06-29-2015, 09:33 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

For the cheap loaner setups, don't forget about all star and castaway rods. Allstar has some very nice rods for around 60(casting and spinning). I use an allstar for my popping cork since I don't use it often, but talk about an awesome affordable rod.

For spinning reels, I'd say go with that orange shimano reel or the Sedona. I have an orange one but can't think of the name of it. I think I paid 60 for it, it has lasted the last 3 years with no issue. This is all salt too.

For casting reels, I really don't know. I've heard plenty good things about the academy brand reels, so I'd say go with them. I don't have any casting loaner setups, all my setups are closer to $400. My dad has our cheapest setup with a citica and bucoo rod. I believe its a perfectly fine setup, I just like the nicer reels.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:17 PM
Trophy Trout

I got a Penn Battle 2 2500 cheap, it should do fine for spinning. If I get another spinner it will be more in line with the battle 2 5000/6000

I placed some bids on some used older Curado's on Ebay, I will see if any of those come through. I am going to check out the Bass Pro Extreme reels later today. I need to get at least one spincaster, but will probably pick up a pair, I will check out their baitcaster while I am there. Someone on 2cool said it had a lifetime replacement warranty, if that is true, I found my loaners. Otherwise, If I buy new, it will probably be the $99 Lew's.

I personally use Made in Sweden Abu Garcia's, but those are hand me downs that will not get loaned out.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:23 PM
Trophy Trout

If anyone is curious in the future, I went with a Daiwa tatula Type HD and a Shimano TRN100G. I'll probably pick up a couple more baitcast reels, but I am looking forward to trying out that Tatula. Honestly, I will probably end up with TRN100G's on loaner rigs or they can fish a spinning set up.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:35 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

I have the Diawa cross fire 3500 series on both of my speck poles spooled with 14 lbs DuPont stren mono and I simply love them (around $40 each) and the poles are just the basic medium 10-14lbs test $40 poles you buy at the discount racks.

I have the Diawa cross fire 4000 series on both of my redfish poles spooled with 20 lbs DuPont stren mono and I simply love them too (also around $40 each) and the poles are just the basic med-heavy 12-17lbs test $40 poles you buy at the discount racks.

my poles last me about 5 years and the reels about 10 years so I never saw the need for high priced gear, that way there is no crying if they get broken or stolen.

im all in at $80 per rod and reel combo unless I find a sale

what I do is when you find a really good reel you like and are comfortable with, go buy some spares so when you need a new reel in a few years you aren't wondering whats good and what is crap out there, things are just getting more expensive while being made with less long term quality every year.

I only have 2 poles but I bought 6 more crossfires when I found out how much I loved them so I should be set for 10-15 years on reels
Old 07-08-2015, 10:18 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,752

Lots of people rave about the $60 Academy H20 Mettle reels. They are built very nice for the money. Personnally, i like the Abu Garcia Revo's. I have one of original base model "S" reels and another "STX" model reel from 2006. I fish 90% saltwater and these reels work as good as new.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:29 AM
Trophy Trout

I have been hunting down open box and clearance deals. I ended up with quite a few Ugly stick Tiger's in different configurations that are "open box". I picked up another Daiwa, an Aird coastal, it was a display model. It is cheaper than the Tatula HD and has more metal parts, I am going to keep an eye on those.

99% sure I am going with straight mono line, might try braid out for rigs I set up for bottom fishing.

These Daiwa reels are smooth.