SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584
Default What would it take to buy you off?

So as some of you know, I started a new career.
Last night 17 of my 26 associates accepted and invitation to have a few beers and talk one on one about leaving and coming with me.

17 of 17 verbally committed to coming.
I increased each of them on average 20 salary and chances at great bonuses.

The owner of my previous company flies in last night and is throwning crazy money at these guys........

doubling salaries and giving "stay" bonuses for 25K for six months and another 25K for a year..........

I am happy for some of these guys as I am the one that gave most of them thier first job in this business.........

So what say you guys?
Loyalty to the guy that helped build year career of some cash in the short term?

We built thier business by the way from a net loser, to an almost 30 million dollar branch in 9 years.........they were doing a million a year before
Old 08-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Gotta love competition!
Old 08-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Blue Marlin

You hiring?!
Old 08-15-2013, 03:09 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,216

Roughly double my salary and a 50k bonus at the end of the year, then is get with you in August 2014 to see what you were offering
Old 08-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

I guess it all depends on where each person's situation stands. I am a very loyal person and have turned down decent money, because I had a sence of loyalty to my employer and I was in a pretty good financial state. If it were to be offered GOOD money now.......... I'm out!

Good luck with your new business!
Old 08-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 949
Headknocker agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
You hiring?!
what do you do?
Old 08-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodeep View Post
what do you do?
LOL! Man, selling for someone else sounds way more appealing than this collision business sometimes!

SP, you know that likely 50% or better are going to take that "instant gratification" or, short money. I know you pretty well, I think and, would follow you through fire if I were in their shoes. I know several of your former workers and, I think that, if they are comfortable with their personal finances, they'll follow you immediately.

I'm sure that somewhere in your mind, you knew this scenario would play out just as it is right now.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Ling

Quote:
You hiring?!
Let me settle this week and I might be..........
Old 08-15-2013, 03:25 PM
Ling

All great points guys....Corey I have some key players that told him to go pound sand.

As for coming back around to me at the end of 2014............not saying it would be impossible. But Corey can attest to the fact that I do not let grass grow under my feet..........if all works well............by 2014 I will have the people I need helping them be successful.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

If I'm doubling plus 50K, I'm staying. I'm having a good attorney look over the docs before signing up. But that's going with either one of you.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,502

Quote:
You hiring?!
lol no kidding .. I don't even know what it is you do, but you sound like the kind of person I would love to work for
Old 08-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msucowpoke51 View Post
lol no kidding .. I don't even know what it is you do, but you sound like the kind of person I would love to work for
That he is. I've never encountered one false pretense with the man or, anyone in his family for that matter. WYSWYG kind of guy.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,571

How did the ex boss find out about your meeting? Is there a rat in the wood pile?

There are many times in a mans life where crossroads exist. I am far enough in my life where i put my head on the pillow at night and know i did the right thing. Have i passed up the opportunity to make a bunch of money! YES! It also would have been at the expense of loosing a very dear friend. Well, he is a multi millionaire and i get to sleep at night! LOL

Money is cheap, friendship you can not put a price on! If anything, the workers are finally in the catbird seat for a change!

Good luck my friend and let me know if i can help.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
All great points guys....Corey I have some key players that told him to go pound sand.

As for coming back around to me at the end of 2014............not saying it would be impossible. But Corey can attest to the fact that I do not let grass grow under my feet..........if all works well............by 2014 I will have the people I need helping them be successful.
Double plus 50 is unheard of, you'd have to have some serious potential fr growth for someone to turn that down, no matte how stand up of a guy you are. At the end of the day, doubling salary over night is a huge bump for the people you do it al for, an that's the wife and kids.

How long would it take to get to that amount of pay by jumping ship into a new venture? How would you look at your wife if the man you turned that good money down for died in a car crash while this new venture was an infant?

Chances of me going to you next year and getting scooped up are greater than me going back to the guy I left if everything fails. Then who's out? The family... Yea, you gotta take risks, but doubling up and having a lot of players off the ladder is an epic chess move!
Old 08-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Swordfish

I'm playing devil's advocate - the other side is "hey, you shoulda been paying me that - why am I all of a sudden worth double?". And gone
Old 08-15-2013, 03:50 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
I'm playing devil's advocate - the other side is "hey, you shoulda been paying me that - why am I all of a sudden worth double?". And gone
yea .. even though i would be happy to make double and the bonuses, there would be a part of me that would be insulted to know that he thought that highly of me all along and never reciprocated with pay until he had to
Old 08-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Another way to look at it is, if an established company will throw money like that because of a new competitor there has got to be a reason. I would be willing to bet he knows SP probably got all of those clients and they'll more than likely jump ship to his new business.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Ling

All interesting points and I appreciate them all.

The thing is, the last TWO companies that I left are for all intensive purposes, not players anymore........that's just the facts.........

So, what I see in the future is my old company dying on the vine one because they are paying too much for people and two, because we are IN SALES garanteed money to what should be comission driven people is a serious no no.

Even a first year business student knows this.

It is nice to see the owner take the place and it's people serious.
We have been a top performing branch for years now and in fact three of the top ten salespeople in the country work with me.......(I recruited two of them out of college)
both are people that Obama says don't pay their fair share............both are coming my way.

He has only been here three time counting today over nine years............busy in Italy and stuff, buying planes, stuff like that.......no time for us.

But is scheduled freed up now!! LOL
FWIW...........not bragging.............but I feel a little humbled that "the Man" is this frightened.

And I am happy the guys will get a big hit......just disappointed that with all the success they see before them they take the cash, when in all likelyhood, they will have to pay the band at the end of the dance
Old 08-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Winner winner chicken dinner
Old 08-15-2013, 03:56 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
Another way to look at it is, if an established company will throw money like that because of a new competitor there has got to be a reason. I would be willing to bet he knows SP probably got all of those clients and they'll more than likely jump ship to his new business.

Another valid point!