SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:29 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167
Default Need some ideas on a critter cage

Have a wooden frame cage with hardware cloth that we put critters in but it has a hinged lid that opens out. Whenever you put more than one in there the others sometimes come out. Need an idea on what to put for a lid or an opening so that they can't get out. I have seen some cages built for frogging that you can put the frog in there and he can't get out. Any ideas on this? Thinking maybe some hard plastic pointing down where you can slide your hand in there but be able to get it out. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:03 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 675

I've used a large tractor inner tube, cut into a sheet, pull it tight & overlap several inches at the seam that way you can stick your hand through and the critter cannot get through the opening when it pops back closed.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:09 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,633
Default cage

hey Duck i have tried the plastic tube deal before, like a cricket basket but for frogs, it didn't work, had frogs get out, i switched to a bucket with a spring loaded door, door cut out just big enough to put a frog clinched in a hand, not sure what kind of critters you are caging, but a small door just big enough on your current cage may be all you need to do
Old 04-30-2015, 12:26 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440

I have a box and use a spring loaded hinge on it. You just push the frog in and the little door pops back up. Then to clean them it has a bigger door that opens to get them out. Works great. Have never had one jump out yet and have had 300 in it a couple of times.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:43 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,124

A full grown frog can squeeze through a tiny crack. How do I know you may ask? Here's how:

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/2...-invasion.html
Old 04-30-2015, 03:37 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
I have a box and use a spring loaded hinge on it. You just push the frog in and the little door pops back up. Then to clean them it has a bigger door that opens to get them out. Works great. Have never had one jump out yet and have had 300 in it a couple of times.
Do you have a pic of that?

Thanks for the replies. I will put a saltycajun sticker on the box and take a pic of it when I get it done
Old 04-30-2015, 03:38 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfighter View Post
hey Duck i have tried the plastic tube deal before, like a cricket basket but for frogs, it didn't work, had frogs get out, i switched to a bucket with a spring loaded door, door cut out just big enough to put a frog clinched in a hand, not sure what kind of critters you are caging, but a small door just big enough on your current cage may be all you need to do
Yeah I was looking at one of those lids like you can get on those old wire fish baskets that collapse

It is for flying squirrels. They are slippery!
Old 04-30-2015, 07:50 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 899

This is what I made. For the trap door there is a spring loaded screen door hinge.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430441408.659051.jpg