SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 04-11-2016, 10:45 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,213
Default No Turkey but lots of Action

Hunt #1- Last week I brought my 9yr old boy. Hot, humid, thick gnats. Heard/seen nothing till 9am, heard one faint gobble, with nothing better to do we set up for 30 minutes and he never showed, started raining so we went back to the truck. Almost to the truck when a jake sounded off very close. I slip around the corner on my belly and there he is about 80 yrds away in the lane. I slip back and get junior, turkey was gone by then but we set up anyway for about 45 minutes... he never reappeared. Either we bumped him getting set up or the truck had him spooked.

Hunt #2- Went Saturday, beautiful cool morning turkeys gobbling everywhere!! Had 5 or 6 gobbling all around me with 2 of them being less than 100 yards in the woods. Stayed put with decoy in the lane, calling occasionally for 2 hours. They gobbled the whole 2 hours but I couldn't get them to do nothing. So about 10, I pick up and make the block walking and yelping every 100 yards and listening. I get almost back to the main road when I look to my right and see a tom at 1/2 strut on a skidder trail looking for the hen he heard(me). He is about 60 yards away so I took 2 quick steps back and laid down on my belly. He saw the movement but didn't know what it was and just kinda walked into the brush(never putted or let his feathers down). I called to him for awhile but I guess he was spooked more than I thought. Wish I would snapped a shot at him now but I know it was a hair too far. I also had two deer walk by me at 40 yards and crawled up on a hen to within about 30-40 yards so it was a really fun hunt, all I need now is some more days off
Old 04-11-2016, 11:15 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,686

Sounds like some pretty exciting hunts!
Besides this Sunday I have been having some fairly exciting hunts this year. One more hunt in Louisiana this Saturday then Ill be heading to New Mexico to try to get my first Merriams.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:29 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawl79 View Post
Sounds like some pretty exciting hunts!
Besides this Sunday I have been having some fairly exciting hunts this year. One more hunt in Louisiana this Saturday then Ill be heading to New Mexico to try to get my first Merriams.

Yeah I read on BB about that double you and your buddy got!! I'll bet ya'll were pumped. Good luck with the Merriams
Old 04-12-2016, 08:58 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Babaz View Post
Yeah I read on BB about that double you and your buddy got!! I'll bet ya'll were pumped. Good luck with the Merriams
Thanks! Always a good time in the woods with friends.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:07 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Been a pretty uneventful turkey season so far for me. Haven't heard many gobbles all season. Finally got on a few birds this past Saturday but they both just slowly went the other way. i'm going to Sonora, TX this weekend to turkey/axis hunt. I should at least get one tom there. We will see!