SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:30 PM
Redfish

Cash: 828
Hairout Trailer tires

Can someone help explains why the inside of my trailer tires are cupped and worn more than the outside??? I just replaced them 18 months ago. Always check tire pressure before and after every trips...
Old 07-06-2015, 08:49 PM
Flounder

Cash: 663

need to check axle toe
Old 07-06-2015, 08:50 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,103

what kind of tires you have? Single or tandem axle? Have you hit anything, it can knock out of alignment can or bent axle.

Some tires are better than others, best I have ever ran was Maxxis
Old 07-06-2015, 09:04 PM
Redfish

Cash: 828

Its a single axle with some marathons load C tires. I probably knock the toe out. How do I get it fixed?
Old 07-06-2015, 09:11 PM
Flounder

Cash: 663

i adjusted the toe on mine with a chain and a bottle jack you have to bend the axle
Old 07-06-2015, 09:22 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

It could be that the trailer axil is a little too small and weight of the boat has bent the axle..... or.....maybe you hit a big "bump" in the road that caused the boat to bounce and bend the axil.

You can take measurements to check if this is the problem. To do this you need 2 people, a straight edge [piece of steel or maybe a board that is straight that is say at least 5 feet long.] a tap measure and or some string.

First mark a spot on the axil 3 or 4 feet from the tire and put an "x" on the top of the axil to mark this spot.

Now mark the exact center of the straight edge. Hold the straight edge horizonal so that the center of the straight edge is lined up with the center of the axle. Once you have the straight edge in place, the distance from the ends of straight edge measuring back to the spot ["x"] on the axle should be the same. If the measurements are not the same, the axle is bent.

Next rotate the straight edge so that one end is tilted up [if you can take the boat off the trailer.....this would make it easier.] as much as possible and so that you can still take the measurements. If the axil is bent due to the weight of the boat, this measurement will not be the same.

Remember the accuracy of this method depends on having a good straight edge and holding the straight edge exactly in place.

Another slightly less accurate method would be to hold a 3 or 4 foot long level in a vertical position up against the trailer tire. Look the see if the bubble is centered or is it showing to be off center.....ie. bent axle.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:31 AM
Flounder

Cash: 681

Contrary to what virtually every tire shop will tell you, there's nothing like having a set of trailer tires balanced to keep them from wearing such as you describe. Period.

When I bought my last set, I specified I wanted them balanced and when I picked them up, there were no weights on them.

I questioned the desk guy, who called the shop on the intercom. I heard the guy in the shop respond, "Balanced? We never balance trailer tires." (Even though it was on the ticket, the guy didn't even notice it.)

Address the obvious, and pay to have them balanced when new, and THEN if they cup, look to your axle for alignment.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:46 AM
Redfish

Cash: 661

I balance all my trailer tires. Just replaced my boat trailer tires. Got 5 1/2 years out of the tires with them being balanced. Its worth the 45$
Old 07-07-2015, 07:13 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 720
Default Marithon

These are Marithon's, one year old. Came apart on camper this June. Heavy ply tire is the way to go. Run PROMETER brand on boat trailers and utility trailers, cupping on the ID no longer a issue with a single axel trailer. FYI, put 14 ply on camper! Lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (47.3 KB, 302 views)
Old 07-07-2015, 07:19 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 978

Jack up each axle side and grab the outer edge of the tire with hands 180deg apart and try to wriggle the wheel. If you have any play your wheel bearings are done. Every time I have had inner tread cupping, as you described, a wheel bearing was shot. Check this before worrying about toe in\out.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:49 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266
Default Trailer tires

Balancing won't cure/cause a consistent inner or outer wear.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:37 PM
Redfish

Cash: 725

Marathon by Goodyear suck! They have always worn weird on any of my boat trailers! Change brands before replacing or altering axel!
Old 07-08-2015, 08:38 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

so what brand is everyone using? I think mine are roadmasters or something like that.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:45 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,103

I am currently running load star carrier, had one that the belt slipped. replaced free of charge Ih ave lots of mileage on them, up to OK last year and back go to Cocodrie frequently, and I live 25 miles from the point, and there very often , they are wearing very good. Just recently tore up the tread somehow, caught before it blew, so it was not tire fault.

I have ran Maxxis (wore great, had them balanced too) on single axle trailer that previously had Carlise, the Carlise cupped and were trash in just over a year with little milage. Initially thought had a bent axle.

Use radial tires and get 6 ply, if at all possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post
so what brand is everyone using? I think mine are roadmasters or something like that.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:47 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Have not had good luck with Carlise.Now Running 6 ply radials purchased at Delta World on Kaliste Saloom in Laf. Couple years old and show little wear.