SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:45 PM
Flounder

Cash: 563
Default Avoiding the Dangers of Big Lake?

Hi All,

I got a new boat and I am very excited to finally have the machine that can get me all around Big Lake but I have heard there can be trash and areas to avoid. What is the best way to find the routes in, around & through Big Lake that are safe and clear to run?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 08-30-2015, 05:41 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,358

I haven't had a problem anywhere out there other than trying to get through the Texaco cut from the lake. Sometimes it gets a bit shallow. other than that, no problems, as long as you stay out of westcove. I tried a few times, but it shallows up quick in there.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:55 PM
Flounder

That is good to hear. I thought there was specific runs/channels I needed to stay in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2015, 08:29 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

If there is a strong north wind, there are a few places that get fairly shallow.

A north wind can drop the water level 1.5' - 3'.

So places that are normally 4 feet deep can be 2 feet deep with a good north wind. This usually only happens during the winter [Dec. - Feb.].
Old 08-30-2015, 08:58 PM
Flounder

So other than the crab traps and oil platforms, is there anything else I need to watch out for or can I just run across the lake keeping my eye on the depth finder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2015, 09:46 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734

And any debris the random board or log can make for a crappy day. Be careful on the south side where the old jetty rock line is, during high tide some of its submerged
Old 08-31-2015, 02:32 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty f View Post
And any debris the random board or log can make for a crappy day. Be careful on the south side where the old jetty rock line is, during high tide some of its submerged
The jetty rocks haves "sunk" a lot from what it was 10+ years ago.

It use to be most of it was always above the normal water level with only a few short "gaps" where the rocks were under water.

Now there are several long stretches [100+ yards] where the rocks are just under the water and waiting to wipe out a lower unit.

IMO.... this jetty needs to be "MARKED" some how to because it is a safety hazard to boaters that are not familiar with the Old Jetty.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:56 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 4,409

As mentioned earlier, be careful of low water conditions, usually caused by a strong north wind. When there is a low water advisory, take it seriously. Among spots already mentioned, use caution around Turner Island, and the Washout and north of the washout, in low water conditions.

To get a good line on Texaco Cut, I would approach it from the ship channel side first time, to get a track to follow when coming back in the opposite direction. Good luck, be careful, don't potlick.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:22 AM
Redfish

Cash: 978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
The jetty rocks haves "sunk" a lot from what it was 10+ years ago.

It use to be most of it was always above the normal water level with only a few short "gaps" where the rocks were under water.

Now there are several long stretches [100+ yards] where the rocks are just under the water and waiting to wipe out a lower unit.

IMO.... this jetty needs to be "MARKED" some how to because it is a safety hazard to boaters that are not familiar with the Old Jetty.
Totally agree. I know someone not familiar with the lake will ruin their lower unit or worse, get seriously injured. Who would be in charge of putting a sign there? It can't be too expensive to put a couple of signs there.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:17 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull n Pray View Post
Totally agree. I know someone not familiar with the lake will ruin their lower unit or worse, get seriously injured. Who would be in charge of putting a sign there? It can't be too expensive to put a couple of signs there.
That's a post on the sw end, but nothing on the other end or in between, that's a man made structure that should be just like the wells, marked and lighted on both ends,
or they should finish diging them up to put on the beach, with that said they are on every GPS and map, and they hold fish from time to time!
Old 08-31-2015, 03:39 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo23 View Post
As mentioned earlier, be careful of low water conditions, usually caused by a strong north wind. When there is a low water advisory, take it seriously. Among spots already mentioned, use caution around Turner Island, and the Washout and north of the washout, in low water conditions.

To get a good line on Texaco Cut, I would approach it from the ship channel side first time, to get a track to follow when coming back in the opposite direction. Good luck, be careful, don't potlick.
I wonder how may Big Lake boaters know that there is a big rock west of "Turners Island". If you are out there during the winter with a 15+ mph north wind, you can see the rock. It has been a long time since I last saw the rock........ but I think it is 100 - 150 yards west of the Island.

I see boats "running" past there fairly often, and wonder how often someone hits that rock.

Also, on the east side of the Island..... about 200 yards..... there is a shallow area. Sometimes you will see birds standing in the water there.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:45 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

Quote:
I wonder how may Big Lake boaters know that there is a big rock west of "Turners Island". If you are out there during the winter with a 15+ mph north wind, you can see the rock. It has been a long time since I last saw the rock........ but I think it is 100 - 150 yards west of the Island.

I see boats "running" past there fairly often, and wonder how often someone hits that rock.

Also, on the east side of the Island..... about 200 yards..... there is a shallow area. Sometimes you will see birds standing in the water there.

Also, south of the Island, about 300-400 yards, you can see shells in those same conditions, only a few inches under the water. Ouch!
Old 08-31-2015, 03:48 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:

that island as shrunk so much, didn't thank about that, as I stay clear of there, it was marked did they get the rocks, trash that was there?? Haven't been that way in awhile
Old 08-31-2015, 05:00 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

Wade fishermen, seriously, some of them fish chest deep and if there's a bit of chop on the water it can be hard to spot them. I know if I were wade fishing in the lake, I'd wear a hunters orange hat.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:01 PM
Flounder

Those are the kind of things I was wondering about. I don't really see people running through one particular area but I figured some areas were safer than others. Is there a deep channel that runs through any part of the lake that is always a safe bet?
Old 08-31-2015, 05:44 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redchaserron View Post
Wade fishermen, seriously, some of them fish chest deep and if there's a bit of chop on the water it can be hard to spot them. I know if I were wade fishing in the lake, I'd wear a hunters orange hat.
Waded big lake 6-7-year's ago, and almost got run over!!

By " guide boats" they anchored up within casting difference there culints said "look there there's people in the water we should help them, there " take that crap back to port oconner " witch I have never fished, !! But now everyone wants to wade bl ! And a hundred yaks out when the conditions are right!! Should have a flag or something cause that's getting bad,!!,

Will will never get out of my boat again. With the retarded people running around on the fri-mon !