SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 02-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Flounder

Cash: 704
Default Striker fired pistols

Is it just me or does anyone else feel uncomfortable carrying a cocked striker fired pistol? I've owned one before and always carried it with the safety on. I recently got me a Ruger SR45 and I feel that the double action trigger is light and has me nervous about carrying it loaded. I could always use the safety but that kinda defeats the purpose. Any thoughts?
Old 02-01-2014, 01:59 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

Yea it always makes me weary. Idk y. I keep my glock loaded, same thing. But a cocked striker makes me cautious
Old 02-01-2014, 03:40 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

I never had any worries about carrying them with one in the pipe. If you have a gun for SD it better be ready to go to work when you grab it. Most accidental discharges happen when holstering and unholstering a carry weapon. Finger off the trigger and paying attention will fix that. I carry a cocked and locked 1911 or a XD 45. Both are in full ready condition. Having a gun for home defense that has an empty chamber is bad news. In your home you have every advantage. You know where all light switches and door knobs are. You also know which way every door swings. Racking the slide to chamber a round at 2am is not good. Now your home intruder knows what room you're in and that you have a gun. Be silent and keep your home field advantage.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:01 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,343

I have a SR9C and always use the safety. Just shoot enough practice rounds through it and it will become a habit for you. When's the last time you thought about taking your safety off your shot gun when ducks surprised you? It's probably only happened when the gun was new to you. So just get comfortable with your new gun.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:44 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

I don't like striker fired pistols because the trigger feel just seems all wrong. I far prefer a DA/SA. Just a personal preference, I do not regard it as a safety issue.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,343

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
I don't like striker fired pistols because the trigger feel just seems all wrong. I far prefer a DA/SA. Just a personal preference, I do not regard it as a safety issue.
I am just the opposite. I like the consistency of a striker fire. With a double action the pull is so heavy on the first shot and then I always think the gun jammed because the take up is so long on the second shot.