SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 02-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618
Thumbs up Calcasieu parish 4-H

Want to give the Calcasieu Extension office, and all their staff and volunteers who helped put on the Crying Eagle Sports Shoot. This was a competition for any parish in the state who has a Shooting Sports program to enter their kids in 4-H who shoot shotgun and bow and arrow in a competitive atmosphere. There were teams from as far as North Caddo and Terrebonne parish's.

I'll be the first to say, these kids can shoot. First place in Modified Trap for Jr.'s and Sr.'s were both ties with scores of 49-50 and 48-50 respectively, with the winner being decided by their longest string of hits for both!

Archery was no different, these kids with compound bows and sights are having to shoot from 40 yards now, to make the scoring easier to decide a winner.

My son was representing Acadia Parish in Genesis Jr. division, (compound, no sights, just rest and nock) and he took second place, with a score of 163 out of a possible 360. Doesn't seem too good, till you remember they are not using sights!! He is 10, and was shooting against 9-13 year olds.

The young man that won the Bare bow and Genesis in the Jr. division also was from Acadia Parish and his scores are unbelievable. His scores were mid to upper 200's with 360 being highest possible! Did I mention no sights, instinctive!!!! The gentleman announcing the winners for the events said, he (himself) probably could not score that high if he placed the arrows on the target.

This is truly something great for the kids, and gives them another alternative to be competitive in a sport other than the traditional ones.

Once again thanks to all who sacrificed their time, this is truly something very positive for a lot of these kids. Some would not have the opportunity to participate in these shoot sports, especially the shotgun division if it weren't for 4-H.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:24 PM
Flounder

Cash: 688
Default Great Event

A great event for kids. Coached a team in Lafayette many years ago and kids at the event can flat out shoot. Remember one from cameron- jeans, camo cap, old tee shirt and pants tucked into leather work boots. Had Mossberg pump-kid flat out did not miss and was quick. Glad to hear event still going strong.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:52 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,632

My kids just started 4H in Orange county TX, they love it. Their doing trap shoot. Organization is good for kids in many different aspects. GREAT ORGANIZATION FOR OUR YOUTH!!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-02-2014, 11:57 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjqx View Post
My kids just started 4H in Orange county TX, they love it. Their doing trap shoot. Organization is good for kids in many different aspects. GREAT ORGANIZATION FOR OUR YOUTH!!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
You bet, our Regional shoot for 4-H is in two weeks. We have 30 kids shooting Modified trap just from Acadia Parish.