SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion > Offshore Fishing Reports

Offshore Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite offshore spots here

Old 08-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default Weathering the storms

We are in a tropical wet mess. My rain gage is over the 5 inch max in about 2 days and I am not going out in the rain to empty it. Today and tomorrow are canceled. I barely made yesterday. It started out like this.

Venice marina is 17 on the chart. My plan was to go between Lena and Coniac and past the 2640 mark. I was holding at Port Eads and deciding if it was worth running through the thunder storms and high winds to get tuna or just wait it out or go the other way and get a few amberjack. We left the marina and only did 24 mph down the river to stay out of as much of the mess as possible. Once at Port Eads I studied the system and found a small window to push through and get south of the system. It was only a few miles but not very comfortable. At least the lightning let up.

As we eased out in rough conditions the further out we got on our 45 mile journey the seas got a bit calmer. Once in the area I made bait. It took a while but we picked up 12-15 tuna crack. At the first place I marked the fish well and proceeded to loose the first 5 fish. One was human error for sure because the guy got too excited and pulled the bait out of the tuna's mouth. The rest were mind boggling. I went about 5 miles to another rig and set out baits. Screaming reel sound is Soooooo Saweeet.

Colby having his jacket on just about finished him off. He almost passed the rod but when the leader first showed the adrenalin kicked in and he finished off this nice 70 pounder. With only 1 man on board I make it a practice to put a belt and harness on him to make it a bit easier. If he gets hurt fighting the fish the trip could be over before the fish ever hits the deck.

After a quick picture the lines were set out and it was Jennifer's turn. She stepped up to the plate and almost did it herself but the 70 pounder was a bit more angry than she had hoped for.

It made her day to be able to pose for this shot. She was too beat to hold the fish up and it was a bit heavier than she had expected.

We had a frigate bird kill one of our baits on the next set but it was not long before we heard the reel sing to us again. This time we got a 50 pounder and that would be it for the day.

The ride in was smooth with the storms having passed. All that remained was a few light showers which were no bother at all.

On the way in Jennifer told me she booked the trip not knowing anything about any part of it. Her and her boyfriend only fish for trout and reds mostly out of Hopedale. It was their first time in a catamaran and first time fishing offshore. The biggest thing they ever got was a redfish. The cherry was broken properly with a very good day offshore.

Due to weather this is the only report I will have for a while. At least it was a good one.

Life is Good!
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Old 08-17-2013, 01:11 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 558

MC547? Looks like the whodat.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726

Ya think?
Old 08-19-2013, 07:13 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 559

Nice job, brother. way to work through the weather. Nothing the ol' glacier bay can't handle!