SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 02-09-2018, 11:07 AM
Redfish

Cash: 829
Default Duck Blind Info

Mostly I have duck hunted in the marsh where there is deeper water and, if you are lucky, grasses for the ducks to feed on all season.

Now I am looking at a rice field blind. I can understand that early in the year there is residual rice that the ducks can feed on. But later in the season why do ducks fly into what looks like a muddy hole 8-10" deep?

What keeps ducks coming into your decoy spread all season?

Dose every rice field blind kill 180 teal and 300 ducks when it is being leased and you have the only bad season in the last 10 years when you lease it??
Old 02-09-2018, 12:13 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by swglenn View Post

What keeps ducks coming into your decoy spread all season?

When the farmer cuts his second crop, have them load the rice carts right in front of your blind. Over filling and spillage of rice cannot be avoided. After harvest do a light plow covering that accidently spilled rice. Flood 2 days before season (1 day before would be better). Water buffalo 2 weeks into the season and repeat 1 day before second split. It's important to bury that seed and make ducks work a little to get at it. If you just flood over that rice and not plow the ducks/geese will eat you out in 3 days.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:18 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefman View Post
When the farmer cuts his second crop, have them load the rice carts right in front of your blind. Over filling and spillage of rice cannot be avoided. After harvest do a light plow covering that accidently spilled rice. Flood 2 days before season (1 day before would be better). Water buffalo 2 weeks into the season and repeat 1 day before second split. It's important to bury that seed and make ducks work a little to get at it. If you just flood over that rice and not plow the ducks/geese will eat you out in 3 days.

But before you do this, read up on what constitutes baiting and crop manipulation. Merely a suggestion
Old 02-09-2018, 12:56 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,970

Its all about being on the X and that goes for marsh and rice field hunting. Just bc you have rice and in a good flyway doesnt always equal ducks. Louisiana duck hunting has gotten very spotty over the years and its Feast or Famine just about everywhere rice or marsh hunting but esp rice fields.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:58 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
But before you do this, read up on what constitutes baiting and crop manipulation. Merely a suggestion

LOL.....I agree 100%
Old 02-10-2018, 08:51 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by specksNdaSURF View Post
Its all about being on the X and that goes for marsh and rice field hunting. Just bc you have rice and in a good flyway doesnt always equal ducks. Louisiana duck hunting has gotten very spotty over the years and its Feast or Famine just about everywhere rice or marsh hunting but esp rice fields.
THIS X 10....^^^^^^^^^^^^

My rice field lease SW of Kaplan there is a blind about 250 - 300 yards North of me on different lease. Rice or not they do not shoot near the ducks we shoot on my lease. I do not know what it is but it has been that way since I started hunting my lease in 2008. That farmer pretty much has a new hunter (sucker) every year....LOL

Even the lease I am on (2 blinds) my blind is usually the best of the two year in and year out.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:00 AM
Redfish

Cash: 829

Long story short, we didn't get the lease. Our buddy that looked at the lease took a friend's father who had a lot of experience in the rice fields to help evaluate it. The old man liked it so much he leased it before we could get together. I don't blame the guy leasing the field.

Needless to say you can guess my thoughts on how I hope the old man does on the lease next year!
Old 02-10-2018, 01:53 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Quote:
Long story short, we didn't get the lease. Our buddy that looked at the lease took a friend's father who had a lot of experience in the rice fields to help evaluate it. The old man liked it so much he leased it before we could get together. I don't blame the guy leasing the field.

Needless to say you can guess my thoughts on how I hope the old man does on the lease next year!
Too bad. Sorry for you. Duck leases have gotten to be very cut throat!! Everyone wants one and will do almost anything to get it.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:41 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:

Probably saved you a lot of money. If a rice blind comes available it's probably a garhole. If it's a good spot, people don't give them up

Also, looking at a blind in February doesn't really give a good picture
of what to expect during the season. Ducks aren't getting shot at and start appearing in places they wouldn't be seen during the season
Old 02-11-2018, 12:01 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

I’m at the point to where I’ll take the money I put on a lease and just make several guided hunts throughout the year. It’s great to have your own place, but sucks when you aren’t anywhere near the “X” mentioned above.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:57 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Ask the farmer why the people got out or if you can have the last people's phone number and talk to them. If it's seems too good to be true it probably is.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:08 PM
Flounder

Cash: 532

Yep if it’s up for lease it’s probably a beautiful mud hole with out any ducks!