SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 10-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,065
Default Louisiana territorial waters and snapper

I read that the season is currently open year round fir red snappers in the 3 mile Louisiana territorial area. My friend is hounding me to put together a charter trip. Where is the best place to go out of to catch snapper that close in and when is it good/not good to plan a charter? I'd appreciate any advice.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:32 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Most charter captains cannot catch snapper right now due to them having federal reef fish permits. They can only catch red snapper during federal snapper season
Old 10-22-2014, 08:33 PM
Great White

Only places you can catch red snapper in the state waters is grand isle and Venice
Old 10-23-2014, 07:23 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

I'm pretty sure that Capt. Hoop does not have a federal permit for his bay boat. You could talk to him possibly.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:43 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 671

No Charter Captain can legally catch state water red snapper in the state of Louisiana. The Federal Regulations have rule 30B that says that federally permitted charter captains have to obey the Federal regulations and cannot participate in the State Water season. The State of Louisiana has a statue in place that says in order for a Charter Captain to catch federally managed species (regardless if they are in state or federal waters), he/she must be in possession of the Federal Permits.

All Louisiana Charter Captains have been locked out of the Red Snapper fishery. The Louisiana FLeet has generally been against the Sector Separation plan but it is these actions that has caused a shift in that sentiment.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:06 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Screamers View Post
No Charter Captain can legally catch state water red snapper in the state of Louisiana. The Federal Regulations have rule 30B that says that federally permitted charter captains have to obey the Federal regulations and cannot participate in the State Water season. The State of Louisiana has a statue in place that says in order for a Charter Captain to catch federally managed species (regardless if they are in state or federal waters), he/she must be in possession of the Federal Permits.

All Louisiana Charter Captains have been locked out of the Red Snapper fishery. The Louisiana FLeet has generally been against the Sector Separation plan but it is these actions that has caused a shift in that sentiment.
I thought it was the boat that was had the reef fish permit not the captain? If what you said is true how come I have seen several captains post pictures on facebook of clients with red snapper?
Old 10-23-2014, 08:19 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

hey, lets hire another politician!
Old 10-23-2014, 08:23 AM
Sand Trout

The permit is assigned to the vessel. Can the Captain run your boat, sure he can but as soon as he does so for any type of compensation it is considered a charter trip. If it is a charter trip then he has to have the permits.

There were several captains that jumped on the State Water Season at the beginning of the turmoil. Most have been properly "educated" at this point, in fact WLF put out a couple of press releases on it back in July.

Like you I was seeing a lot of those pictures, I do not see them any more, partially because WLF is using the web postings to further their "education".

Meaux, it is very confusing that is why WLF has only made a few arrest, the rest have been warnings but because of those violations NMFS is now beginning to question the validity of the LACREEL numbers so they are tightening down on it.

I am sure that you are aware of the 30B rule. If I find time I can dig up the state statue but trust me, I was just in Mobile, Al arguing these points yesterday.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:40 AM
Sand Trout

From WLF June 5, 2014 press release. I would have to look up the actual statue as it is not quoted in the press release.
Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries News

LDWF Reminds Charter Captains about Federal Reef Fish Permit Requirements

June 4, 2014 – The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries would like to clarify the permit requirements for charter boat captains fishing for reef fish in state and federal waters.

Any vessel being operated as a charter or headboat and landing reef fish in Louisiana is required to have a valid federal charter vessel / headboat reef fish permit, regardless of where these fish were caught (state or federal waters). This permit must have been issued to the vessel and must be on board the vessel and in immediate possession. Additionally, a valid Louisiana charter boat license shall be in the possession of the captain.

The Department of Wildlife and Fisheries is charged with managing and protecting Louisiana's abundant natural resources. For more information, visit us at www.wlf.louisiana.gov on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ldwffb or follow us on Twitter @LDWF.

For press inquiries please contact Rene LeBreton at rlebreton@wlf.la.gov or (504) 286-8745.

Unsubscribe from this newsletter
Old 10-23-2014, 08:45 AM
Great White

Quote:
The permit is assigned to the vessel. Can the Captain run your boat, sure he can but as soon as he does so for any type of compensation it is considered a charter trip. If it is a charter trip then he has to have the permits.

There were several captains that jumped on the State Water Season at the beginning of the turmoil. Most have been properly "educated" at this point, in fact WLF put out a couple of press releases on it back in July.

Like you I was seeing a lot of those pictures, I do not see them any more, partially because WLF is using the web postings to further their "education".

Meaux, it is very confusing that is why WLF has only made a few arrest, the rest have been warnings but because of those violations NMFS is now beginning to question the validity of the LACREEL numbers so they are tightening down on it.

I am sure that you are aware of the 30B rule. If I find time I can dig up the state statue but trust me, I was just in Mobile, Al arguing these points yesterday.
Yeah I know the regs, I was just asking a question, not really questioning your statement. So whats the LCBA's stance on sector separation?
Old 10-23-2014, 09:25 AM
Sand Trout

Many have been on the fence but more and more of the membership is turning toward Sector Separation as the only fix that is currently on the table so they are willing to give it a try.

I was at Gulf Council yesterday and it appears likely that the vote is in favor of SS with a 9 to 7 vote. It seems that everyone already has their minds made up. There was talk of adding a 3 or 5 year sunset clause so that it would have to be ratified once again after a working review. HOWEVER, I was led to believe that at least some of the Gulf States are lined up to file a court action on various procedural matters to stop SS should it be voted in.

Regional Management is back on the table and I am listening to them discuss it as I type this. So there is great confusion that no one seems to have the answer to. If SS is voted in today is it the rule of the land? If Regional Management continues forward and is ratified by the March 2015 meeting; does it then supersede SS?

One thing seems certain, as of right now, Louisiana's Charter Boats will most likely be locked out of the Red Snapper fishery again for 2015. So recreational anglers that do not own boats and have chosen to hire a boat to take them out will once again be locked out of catching the endangered red snapper.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:06 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,679

Has anyone kept snapper in the 3 to 10 mile grey zone? Out of fourchon? Caught a lot of snapper around that area buy was too scared to keep them
Old 10-23-2014, 10:25 AM
Sand Trout

Yeh there is plenty of people keeping them from there and when you consider that a 30+ pound Red Snapper won Faux Pas ................... well let's just say if you believe that those fish came from the 10 mile limit, I have Aladin's lamp to sell you.

During the height of the summer there were a couple of instances where the GC wrote a few tickets but I have not heard of anything lately. It is still a disputed territory so you will be taking your chances.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:28 AM
Great White

Default Louisiana territorial waters and snapper

Quote:
Many have been on the fence but more and more of the membership is turning toward Sector Separation as the only fix that is currently on the table so they are willing to give it a try.

I was at Gulf Council yesterday and it appears likely that the vote is in favor of SS with a 9 to 7 vote. It seems that everyone already has their minds made up. There was talk of adding a 3 or 5 year sunset clause so that it would have to be ratified once again after a working review. HOWEVER, I was led to believe that at least some of the Gulf States are lined up to file a court action on various procedural matters to stop SS should it be voted in.

Regional Management is back on the table and I am listening to them discuss it as I type this. So there is great confusion that no one seems to have the answer to. If SS is voted in today is it the rule of the land? If Regional Management continues forward and is ratified by the March 2015 meeting; does it then supersede SS?

One thing seems certain, as of right now, Louisiana's Charter Boats will most likely be locked out of the Red Snapper fishery again for 2015. So recreational anglers that do not own boats and have chosen to hire a boat to take them out will once again be locked out of catching the endangered red snapper.
If they will still be locked out what is the reasoning for support of amendment 40? Why not band with the recs for better management instead of taking some of our already shortened season?
Old 10-23-2014, 10:56 AM
Sand Trout

Because of a comment that Robin Rykers just made in testimony. They have revived Amendment 39 at this meeting but already this morning they are trying to kick the can down the road and all he is hearing is reasons why IT (regional management) WILL NOT WORK. It could be two more years before they work out Regional Management.

Personally that is my preferred option. But you are a business person if something happened in your industry that had you locked out of your major market, would you not have to consider all options on the table and get back to business while you work on something better?

Do you know why we do not have regional management now? It is because Florida has a governors election coming and their Governor did not want to negotiate over 2% points of quota and refuses to do so until after the election because he did not want to look week prior to the election. So something as simple as this has stalled Regional Management and allowed SS to move forward. As a business who was willing to take on the hurt in hopes of regional management, I have to ask which state has a Governors election coming up next that will stall Regional Management?

There have been lies told on both sides of this issue and just know that somewhere in the middle is the truth. Can I ask you why you are opposed to Sector Separation?

If 40 passes today the charter boats would be back into the fishery this June while they continue to work on Regional Management. If we continue to be locked out it is because once again someone decides to stall it in court.

Another thing that you have to consider is that we have all be fairly happy with WLF as of right now. I believe that they have done a fairly good job overall and have an open door policy for any issues. However I remember administrations of the past and if they do not get something done soon, there is going to be a new administration in Louisiana to finish this out, what will it look like? What support will either of the groups have?

Please do not take anything that I say argumentative I actually love the discussion.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:15 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,065

Thanks for the clarification, it's sad , but sadly not surprising the mess the gov't has made of this....

"endangered red snapper!!!" too funny! Just like the "endangered" mosquitos! 8)
Old 10-23-2014, 11:34 AM
Great White

Quote:
Because of a comment that Robin Rykers just made in testimony. They have revived Amendment 39 at this meeting but already this morning they are trying to kick the can down the road and all he is hearing is reasons why IT (regional management) WILL NOT WORK. It could be two more years before they work out Regional Management.

Personally that is my preferred option. But you are a business person if something happened in your industry that had you locked out of your major market, would you not have to consider all options on the table and get back to business while you work on something better?

Do you know why we do not have regional management now? It is because Florida has a governors election coming and their Governor did not want to negotiate over 2% points of quota and refuses to do so until after the election because he did not want to look week prior to the election. So something as simple as this has stalled Regional Management and allowed SS to move forward. As a business who was willing to take on the hurt in hopes of regional management, I have to ask which state has a Governors election coming up next that will stall Regional Management?

There have been lies told on both sides of this issue and just know that somewhere in the middle is the truth. Can I ask you why you are opposed to Sector Separation?

If 40 passes today the charter boats would be back into the fishery this June while they continue to work on Regional Management. If we continue to be locked out it is because once again someone decides to stall it in court.

Another thing that you have to consider is that we have all be fairly happy with WLF as of right now. I believe that they have done a fairly good job overall and have an open door policy for any issues. However I remember administrations of the past and if they do not get something done soon, there is going to be a new administration in Louisiana to finish this out, what will it look like? What support will either of the groups have?

Please do not take anything that I say argumentative I actually love the discussion.

I do too. I will respond after I finish bush hogging some fields
Old 10-23-2014, 11:52 AM
Sand Trout

Amendment 40 just passed 10 to 7. Sector Separation.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:10 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Amendment 40 just passed 10 to 7. Sector Separation.

In laymens terms can you you explaing sector seperation. And thanks for taking the time out to discuss this.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,679

Admen. 40 will it help the rec. Side or is it more for the charter boat ect?