SaltyCajun.com lake Area Marine

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion > Freshwater Fishing Reports

Freshwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite freshwater spots here

Old 10-21-2017, 05:20 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 6,228
Default 10-21-17 Calcasieu Crappie left em bitin

Went back to the new hole I found yesterday and it was on. They were hungry. Caught over 20 but didn't keep any little ones today other than the one that swallowed hook while I was re-tying and getting other rod ready after breaking off which I did a ton of times again today! Bad mistake switching to 12 pound test and putting 17 back on tonight. #1 gold hooks will straighten out most of the time with 17 pound test but this 12 breaks easy. Anyway they were hitting as fast as I could get back out there then just stopped! Like something was up cause they were feeding too good. So I stayed hoping they would start up again. I noticed a couple small garfish rolling further out and down river hitting my dead shiners that either got slung off while pulling fish up or floated back off after breaking off. Sometimes if shiner not moving good I just throw it out and grab a good live one. Not anymore. I started putting the dead ones in a cup. After about 15 minutes of no bite no nothing I was fixing to leave then all of sudden I had a drag pulled on. 4 foot garfish. Walking across top of water doing all it could to get off but I landed the thing! Kinda lol. There was a grass bed I eased boat onto so I pull it over there and pulled the hook out. It stayed there so I decided to try for Crappie again now that I got him out the way. After 10-12 minutes I caught a couple more. Then boat comes by and the wake was all that garfish needed to get a boost of energy and swim back off. Son of a gun must of went right back down in treetop again cause they quit again!! While Crappie fishing if I garfish shows up they will get lock jaw quick! Has happened to me way too many times not to be something to it. Anyway I still had the 32 from yesterday to clean and after fishing one more spot catching 2-3 real solid Crappie and 3 bass I was out of shiners already. Here is pic of both days catch and today's and the garfish that ruined the bite! I may hit that one more time in am if storm and front not here yet but I don't like to fish a hole too many times back to back like that cause u fish em out and start catching 3-4 here and there. Besides it's been almost a month since I been to my holes up north around Dans Bay and expect them to be holed up there again. That's where that 15 1/2 incher came from ! Hopefully I can get a couple hours in in morning cause I'm sure after front they will have lock jaw for a few days. Good luck all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1378.jpg (85.7 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1376.jpg (60.1 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1375.jpg (54.0 KB, 118 views)
Old 10-21-2017, 05:26 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 6,228

Oh. 13 white perch and 3 bass today in couple hours. Lost a lot of fish today though that wrapped up in treetops before I could get them up. Fish were better size today and the bite was unreal. There was no walking the cork , or picking bait up laying cork over on its side, or tap a tap tap! It was bite and straight down cork out of site so if u were not ready they can get wrapped up pretty easy when feeding that aggressive.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:11 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,160

Man, you are ON IT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2017, 09:45 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

That gar is pretty tasty fried up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk