SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 01-26-2014, 03:53 PM
Redfish

Cash: 724
Cheers Fishing from the bank...

Hello all! New guy to the site. Found it while searching for places to fish from the bank or boat docks in Alexandria to Lafayette area. I live in Cottonport, and I am constantly on and off of I49 all over the state. Middle aged guy with a family, just trying to get out and put a little variety in the freezer here and there. I am also looking for a good medium size aluminum boat for fishing the lakes around here.

I grew up fresh water fishing and hunting, joined the Coast Guard out of high school and sank my teeth into the saltwater fun. I currently work offshore, and I fish the platforms all the time, alot with handlines, some times with a rod and reel.

If anyone has advice on bank fishing for some blue gills, sac a lait, cats and bass in these parts, I'd really appreciate it. Also if anyone has a boat and is looking for a partner from time to time, let me know. I do have my own tackle and rods. I'm also accustomed to helping with gas, ice, drinks..., can tow (have 3/4 ton 4x4), launch/recover a boat etc... Just don't have my own boat yet.

Again, just saying hi and enjoying the posts here. Seems like a pretty cool bunch of laid back guys.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:32 PM
Kyocera Dealer

Cash: 1,526

You can try the bar Pitts in Henderson just North of I 10.

Good luck and welcome to the site!!
Old 01-26-2014, 05:05 PM
Redfish

I've heard of henderson before. Someone warned that it's private property mostly around there and you could get a trespass ticket or worse... Any directions to public access?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2014, 05:11 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710

Public access is off the butte Larose exit by the rest stop. Exit then come back west pass the rest stop

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2014, 07:55 PM
Redfish

Thanks for wishing me luck cajunsaint, and thanks alpha for the directions.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:44 AM
Sailfish

You can also fish along the bank in Henderson. Go though town towards levee And fish there and on the other side bayou amie I think that's the name.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:53 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

Traveling the way you do I'd recommend a Kayak. I have two and they are a blast to fish out of. Just throw it in the truck and go. Good luck and welcome to the site.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:33 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaman View Post
Public access is off the butte Larose exit by the rest stop. Exit then come back west pass the rest stop

This is direction to the public boat launch. Can't really fish you from here

Old 01-27-2014, 09:17 AM
Redfish

Cash: 978

My cousin and I used to fish off the bridge in Cottonport. We would catch some small brim every once in while.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:40 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by I make oil View Post
Traveling the way you do I'd recommend a Kayak. I have two and they are a blast to fish out of. Just throw it in the truck and go. Good luck and welcome to the site.
X2....all the good bank spots have no trespassing signs. Here is a good one for a decent price. http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/perc...en&N=670787849
Old 01-27-2014, 07:49 PM
Redfish

Pull and pray, I've tried the bayou here and there, but mostly come up with small mud cat and baby bream. I have a bait trap I keep out when the water gets a Lil higher than it is now.

Oil, I'm looking into them kayaks now, but I really would prefer a 16 ft flat with an outboard to to take the kids when they ask to go...

Old 01-27-2014, 09:10 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
X2....all the good bank spots have no trespassing signs. Here is a good one for a decent price. http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/perc...en&N=670787849
M they have that yak at our Alexandria Academy. Been eyeballing it like crazy. They have some others I like. Really been jonesing for a yak because I love fishing small water. Now my boy wants to start bass fishing so I need two. I hadnt even sweet talked my way into the first one yet.lmbo
Old 01-27-2014, 09:24 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
M they have that yak at our Alexandria Academy. Been eyeballing it like crazy. They have some others I like. Really been jonesing for a yak because I love fishing small water. Now my boy wants to start bass fishing so I need two. I hadnt even sweet talked my way into the first one yet.lmbo
We fished in a canoe for a year when the boys were real young (like 5-6) before I broke down and bought the Alumacraft V-16. It would have worked much better if not for all the yahoos blasting past and constantly rocking us with their wakes. Get some advice and consider your intended locations before investing in yaks if you're gonna fish areas where there might be a constant stream of wakes blowing past.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:48 PM
Redfish

Bayou chicot, Indian creek, Miller lake, lake Martin, sometimes Kinkaid and cotile and maybe Cleco if it ever shakes back. Kayaking would probably be great on 3 or 4 of those spots. But a question - what about kayaking at night?? Running lights required? I'm an ex coastie, but I was never a navigation guy...

Old 01-28-2014, 08:04 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
Bayou chicot, Indian creek, Miller lake, lake Martin, sometimes Kinkaid and cotile and maybe Cleco if it ever shakes back. Kayaking would probably be great on 3 or 4 of those spots. But a question - what about kayaking at night?? Running lights required? I'm an ex coastie, but I was never a navigation guy...

You ever get out to kincaid or cotile give me a shout. Those are within ten miles of my house. We can get together and drink a cold one and through something on the grill. I got a 14' piroux if you ever need to borrow it for a day or two.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:55 PM
Redfish

Will do bud. I grew up in boyce. Hwy 121 going to cotile. Then moved Right next to the old boyce high school. Mom still lives there...

Old 01-29-2014, 10:41 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post

You need a 1- mile visibility 360° white light at a minimum. They have LED ones that run on AA batteries for this. I would also put reflective tape all over the place and keep a hand light or a headlamp also.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
You need a 1- mile visibility 360° white light at a minimum. They have LED ones that run on AA batteries for this. I would also put reflective tape all over the place and keep a hand light or a headlamp also.
Thanks for the info B. Much 'preciated