SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:57 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako19 View Post
I want to say that TOPS was initially funded by some type of cigarette tax or Lottery tax. It's a great program but qualifications need to be raised.

I went to school with a girl who went to college for 8 years before earning her EE Degree all paid for by grants. She was making $50-60k a year bartending but wasn't claiming it so she qualified for government grants.

Well, 5 years after we graduated she is still bartending and not giving anything back to society because she still isn't claiming enough income to pay taxes.
Don't get me started on people not paying taxes. ALL these dang crabbers and oyster men and guides and crawfishermen and shrimpers get paid in cash and claim very little on taxes. Then they are the first to say something about people not pulling their own weight they are the first in line when govt handouts are offered. Look at the BP oil spill
Old 04-25-2015, 10:09 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb View Post
Don't get me started on people not paying taxes. ALL these dang crabbers and oyster men and guides and crawfishermen and shrimpers get paid in cash and claim very little on taxes. Then they are the first to say something about people not pulling their own weight they are the first in line when govt handouts are offered. Look at the BP oil spill

Ouch!

Solid

And how bout that MathGeek smack down? I'm about to print, laminate and hang it on my fridge
Old 04-25-2015, 10:13 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Ouch!

Solid

And how bout that MathGeek smack down? I'm about to print, laminate and hang it on my fridge
He got some wood on that ball for sure. Knocked it out the park. College ain't for everybody. World needs welders and pipeliners too

Ain't nothin finer than a pipeliner
Old 04-25-2015, 10:26 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

That is a national issue as a whole. People acting like college is a right. That everyone should have a college education. It waters down the significance of the degree. You basically have to have a Master's to get ahead of the pack.

And God forbid anyone apply for a job without job experience. Everyone wants experience for entry level jobs.

Too many people with degrees, too few jobs. When I'm applying for Biologist positions with LDWF, and they guy tells me there were PhDs applying and interviewing, there is a problem.

Colleges need to be more selective, and so do funding sources. Across the nation. Every Tom, ****, and Harry does not need a college education. You can make as good a living without one as you can with one.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:40 AM
Trophy Trout

Need a tax called an A-hole tax. Everybody with a sparkle boat would have to pay. Louisiana colleges would be well funded lol
Old 04-25-2015, 11:22 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

Quote:
Need a tax called an A-hole tax. Everybody with a sparkle boat would have to pay. Louisiana colleges would be well funded lol
My point was these programs like TOPS are great when the student graduates and gets a good job and becomes a productive member of society by paying his share. But to milk off these programs and not do anything with an engineering degree is why these systems are not sustainable.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:58 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Don't know if that would amount to much.....lol......not near as many of those as you may think.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:23 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,213

They could easily fix TOPS by requiring the student to get a student loan for the school year FIRST and then reimbursing the student the full cost of his tution at the end of the year AFTER he/she shows that they have made the grades for that school year.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:28 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,213

Quote:
He got some wood on that ball for sure. Knocked it out the park. College ain't for everybody. World needs welders and pipeliners too

Ain't nothin finer than a pipeliner
This is true too. I would rather see a young guy get a two year associates from Sowela in I&E, go to the plants and bang out $100K/yr then to get a 4 yr bachelors from LSU in Liberal Arts. Then whine that they can't find a job even though they are college educated, if your degree is in NOTHING then you won't be able to find a job in NOTHING.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:32 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

All we really have to do is stop alllowing the Feds to back the student loans.....

The U's are getting their money than we are on the hook.......

LSU waste the money they need to make ends meet, they all are worried about image over substance

Building resume's over eulogies
Old 04-25-2015, 05:45 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Mako why are you worried about LSU ??
Old 04-25-2015, 05:50 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Mako why are you worried about LSU ??
It's a domino effect. If you get to the point where you can't cut any more funding from LSU, the other schools start taking the blunt of the cuts. I don't think any of the other schools could take the cuts that LSU is about to take.

Anyone that gives a damn about higher education should care about what's happening at LSU, because it's going to happen to everyone before long if nothing is done about these budget deficits.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:57 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
You do all these peoples taxes and know what they pay ?
Old 04-26-2015, 09:38 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
You do all these peoples taxes and know what they pay ?
I know what they bring home isn't anywhere close to what they claim on taxes. They write off a bunch if personal expenses as business expenses and actually get a big return every year I sit at the table with several of these folks at our thanksgiving dinner. They are family but they are hypocrites

I don't play with the IRS
Old 04-26-2015, 10:26 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Quote:
I know what they bring home isn't anywhere close to what they claim on taxes. They write off a bunch if personal expenses as business expenses and actually get a big return every year I sit at the table with several of these folks at our thanksgiving dinner. They are family but they are hypocrites

I don't play with the IRS

I would cheat the federal tax take if I could.......the feds cheat me when they can.......
I don't know these folks, but hypocrites seems harsh.......
Opportunistic seems more appropriate.....
Old 04-26-2015, 03:30 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
LSU has a enrollment of 30,451 students at 8,758 dollars for a years in state tution and fees that equals 266,689,858 dollars a year just in tution, not counting tax dollars or donations. If they cannot make it on that then they dont need to be teaching business.
its 45K a semester for LSU law.... how are they broke again? maybe they should try to quit making everything a rip off.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:39 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 598

Tops was started by Pat Taylor
Taylor energy. With his own money. Then maybe ten years later the state took it over