SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:31 PM
Redfish

Cash: 837
Default Sirius Radio Quality

Getting ready to go on 2500 mile vacation so I thought i'd finally subscribe to Sirius Radio. Never thought I'd be paying for radio. I've got a 2013 F350 Lariat with great sound system. Is it just me or does music on Sirius radio sound strange? It all sounds like it has a computerized fake sound, nowhere near quality of CD. Is it me or do some of you notice same thing? Its driving me crazy. Can't listen to it long.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:35 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

must be something wrong with yours, Ive had satellite radio for 7 years and never had an issue
Old 04-25-2015, 02:40 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Satellite radio is highly compressed and is on a delay incase line of sight is interrupted. So it will not sound as good as a CD or terrestrial radio for that matter. The better the sound system the worse it sounds, especially if you are used to listening to CD's. Its like HDTV vs Regular. You may notice the sound quality improving when you get into larger metropolitan areas because there are ground repeaters in some areas. I have had it for years and have never been impressed by the sound quality, but thats not why I pay for it. Its worth it for me because I like talk radio and I HATE commercials. Pandora is a better option if you don't mind using the data.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:41 AM
Redfish

LOL..... "I like talk radio and I HATE commercials." We may be related!! I use and like pandora. But like the talk shows too. Your description must be dead on for the sound quality. That explains the digital processed sound i'm hearing. With todays technology, you'd think it would be the best sound coming from paid radio. Thanks. Now at least my wife will stop thinking I'm crazy!!
Old 04-25-2015, 09:18 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,212

Ok Marque answered the question. I was going to say basically the same thing that he said. It does seem like some of the more popular channels have a little better sound quality than some of the less popular channels. However the sound quality is not as good as terrestrial radio and no where near CD quality. When I listen to Pandora the difference in sound quality is huge.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:51 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by irokcj5 View Post
LOL..... "I like talk radio and I HATE commercials." We may be related!! I use and like pandora. But like the talk shows too. Your description must be dead on for the sound quality. That explains the digital processed sound i'm hearing. With todays technology, you'd think it would be the best sound coming from paid radio. Thanks. Now at least my wife will stop thinking I'm crazy!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl8200 View Post
Ok Marque answered the question. I was going to say basically the same thing that he said. It does seem like some of the more popular channels have a little better sound quality than some of the less popular channels. However the sound quality is not as good as terrestrial radio and no where near CD quality. When I listen to Pandora the difference in sound quality is huge.
There are a laundry list of reasons why the sound quality of satellite radio is not better. The first being the designated bandwidth the government allots to Sirius/XM. They are only allowed to broadcast within a certain frequency so there is only so much bandwidth available. When you spread the 200 plus channels over the allotment there is only so much bandwidth to go around. So the more popular channels get a bigger slice of the pie. Thats why the quality is going to be much better on Hits 1 than on the Elvis channel. Whatever they broadcast has to be shot up from earth to the satellite. The satellite then scrambles the signal into a bunch of fragments so its encrypted to prevent people from stealing it. Then it shoots the fragments back down to the receiver in your truck. Your receiver then pieces the signal back together. I assume its a UHF signal which means its directional where as terrestrial radio is broadcast VHF which is an omni directional signal. Its basically the same as difference as a shot gun and a rifle. VHF, being the shot gun is basically not effected by walls and roofs and will cover the target more at shorter ranges because the single bounces. Were as UHF has a longer range but has to travel in a straight line or the signal is blocked. If there were less channels there would be less interference because the signal would be stronger. If it wasn't encrypted there would also be way less interference as well. The bandwidth is allotted because there are a million other forms of communication that also operate in the UHF spectrum.

By the way, I need to throw out a disclaimer. A lot of what I just said is my assumption based on lots of time trying to get satcom radios to work when I was a Marine. I wasn't a radio operator but had to use them so I did a lot of research. They were a giant pain in the a$$ and never really worked right unless we were doing real world operations. Whenever we were training we were given the smaller bandwidth satellites which hardly ever worked, especially if they were crowded. I could be completely full of it, but based on experience, I would assume my explanation is plausible.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:04 AM
Redfish

Thanks for your service Marque.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:05 AM
Flounder

Cash: 789

Thanks for your service. Your explanation is better than any BS Hillary would throw at us
Old 04-26-2015, 05:27 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbay View Post
Thanks for your service. Your explanation is better than any BS Hillary would throw at us
Hey now, there may be some guys on here that love Hillary and will vote for her for President.........
Old 04-26-2015, 05:28 PM
Redfish

...............BAH HA HA HA HA HA HA.....I couldn't say it without busting up!!!!!