SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:46 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 521
Default Costa Del Mar Warranty

I have owned costas for the past ten years and love the quality of them. but recently I bought a pair of their wingmans with the 580 lenses and paid close to $300 for them, after about a weeks i noticed the screw on one of the arms would back out and not really want to screw back in. now i take pretty good care of my glasses. I sent them in and got a email in return saying that i now owe them another $80 because of frame damage. I just dont see how i could damage the frame to the point of the screws not wanting to hold in a matter of a week. id only wear them for the ride home from work and hang them back up around the rear wiew mirror when i got home. Have any of yall ever experienced anything like this with costa? Im thinking about a possible swithch to Maui Jim what do yall think?
Old 04-13-2015, 09:43 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,212

I bought a pair of Fantails with the 580 glass lenses and the rubber lining around the frames started coming loose. I contacted Costa and they gave me a completely new pair of frames for a small fee of like 40 bucks. The new frames look the same but the manufacturing process was changed. They must have had a bunch of issues with the old design. I cant complain one bit. Maybe you should have asked to talk to someone else at Costa about the assessment. Tell them you aint happy and maybe something will get done at a more reasonable price.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:56 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

I sent a pair of tuna alleys and permits in over a month ago for repair/replacement willing to pay the fees and have not heard back from them yet.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:04 AM
Redfish

Cash: 816

I sent a pair of fathoms that were almost 2 yrs old , that the arm had broke off .. It took about a month and I had them back fixed and only had to pay like 12$ for shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2015, 01:14 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osborne01 View Post
I have owned costas for the past ten years and love the quality of them. but recently I bought a pair of their wingmans with the 580 lenses and paid close to $300 for them, after about a weeks i noticed the screw on one of the arms would back out and not really want to screw back in. now i take pretty good care of my glasses. I sent them in and got a email in return saying that i now owe them another $80 because of frame damage. I just dont see how i could damage the frame to the point of the screws not wanting to hold in a matter of a week. id only wear them for the ride home from work and hang them back up around the rear wiew mirror when i got home. Have any of yall ever experienced anything like this with costa? Im thinking about a possible swithch to Maui Jim what do yall think?

Judging from my experience with them, it seems as to some details must have been crossed in your experience. I'd contact them, and I'd be willing to bet they would work out a much better deal.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:32 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,364

the lifetime warranty isn't for everything. i've never sent a pair back that didn't cost me at least $40, and once they sent me a new pair because my model wasn't being made anymore, only the new pair had plastic lenses. i don't buy Costas anymore.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:35 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 521

I knew about the limited lifetime waranty and what it covered, i did try to speak to someone about the cost and explain my side of the story but got no where with it.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:06 PM
Redfish

Cash: 888

I just sent my Jose glasses in. This is the second time in 2 years. First time the arms vent outward to the point they wouldn't stay on my face. Not three months after getting the warranty pair back the rubber lining is coming off and the finish is bubbling up. I will be switching brands next time I buy glasses. I work outside all day on the golf course and I need a good pair of sunglasses
Old 04-13-2015, 08:22 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,632

Ran over a my hammer heads with my truck 580g lens. $100 dollars later they sent me a new pair. Told them what happen no question asked new pair.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:59 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,212

I have no complaints about Costa and will still use them since they have always been good to me. Someone mentioned Maui Jim's and I've heard that they have the best lenses on the market, so they would be worth looking into if looking for new sunglasses.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:23 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,829

No complaints here, I had a pair for a couple years and broke in half .I sent them back and they replaced the frame and all I had to pay was the shipping cost .
Old 04-14-2015, 06:13 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

Switched to Berkley "disposables" years ago, have never looked back. Scratch or loss, no problem. They look fine, can not tell difference in water and sight fish all the time.

Get them four at a time at Academy, everybody on boat can have polarized lenses if they don't already. $10 per.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:50 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455
Default Costa Del Mar Warranty

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429012206.583369.jpg

Saw these on Instagram for $29.99 yesterday. Might check em out. You can build your own pair for $39 I think.

I currently own about 5 pairs of Costas. No complaints with customer service. If it's your fault, it's gonna cost you. If not, it won't.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:01 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,225

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl8200 View Post
I bought a pair of Fantails with the 580 glass lenses and the rubber lining around the frames started coming loose. I contacted Costa and they gave me a completely new pair of frames for a small fee of like 40 bucks. The new frames look the same but the manufacturing process was changed. They must have had a bunch of issues with the old design. I cant complain one bit. Maybe you should have asked to talk to someone else at Costa about the assessment. Tell them you aint happy and maybe something will get done at a more reasonable price.
I experienced the exact same thing with my Fantails last year. I own multiple pairs of Costas and am pleased with each of them, but I am now avoiding the models that have large rubber pieces across the bottom. The rubber provides good grip but after enough heat and sweat exposure, they will all fall off.

I have sent 3 pairs of Costas in for repair over the years. 1 pair needed a 480 lens replacement and the other 2 were manufacturer defects that didnt show themselves until after multiple years of use. I don't recall paying more than about $40 + shipping for any repair, but all of my glasses are polymer frames. Maybe they are charging you more for repairs since your Wingmans are metal frames?

Last edited by BaseballFisherman; 04-14-2015 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:13 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

I sent back 2 pairs both broken in half between the eyes , explained how it happened . 1 was not my fault imo the other was ( which I openly told them)
2 weeks later they told me that it would cost me 11.95 more each ( initially had to pay 10 or 11 bucks to file the claim I think ) and they said they noticed my lenses were scratched and if I wanted to replace it would be 80 more . I declined new lenses on both .

Week later new frsmes on both and they replaced the lenses on one even after I declined .

Great customer service imo
Old 04-15-2015, 07:44 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 662

I just sent back a pair of fathoms for the ear pieces that were peeling and they charged me $10 to repair. I also sent back a pair of Riomar at the same time to get the nose pieces replaced and one of the emblems had fallen off. They told me that the Riomar were discontinued and to choose any other pair I wanted. I had the green 580g and wanted to swap them for the silver mirror/copper base since I have a new pair of Cobinas with the green 580g.

They said I would have to pay $80 to swap to a different color plus $25 for the repair that the Riomar would have cost to repair. I thought that was kind of crappy to pay $80 since they were giving me a brand new pair anyway, but it's much less that buying new. Still worth it IMO. I was going to try out some Maui Jims for my latest new pair, but a friend of mine has some matte black frames and they started peeling within a few months. I think both companies make quality lens, but like anything made today you will have issues here and there.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:01 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 899

I had a pair of Fathoms with scratched lens and loose arms. The holes on the arms were wallowed out. I sent them in stating the issues and they said the arms would be fixed under warranty and the lenses would be an additional $70 or so. Knowing they would just send a new pair, based on other reviews, I opted only for the arm replacement. Two weeks later I received a new pair for only the price of shipping them there.