SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 01-12-2016, 05:29 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,486
Default Shotgun coating

I've found some posts on Cerakote jobs and looked into it (very expensive).
Any alternatives that may be cheaper, just something to protect gun better and help prevent rusting?
Also having trouble finding replacement recoil pad for Super Vinci, sold out most places. Any ideas?
Thanks
Old 01-12-2016, 07:22 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

Cerakote is the way to go. Had my .22 mag we gater hunt with done 0 issues after 2 year's worth the 140 bucks. Bill Wiseman in college station did it, he's got a webpage
Old 01-12-2016, 08:11 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,486

I just emailed him. Many thanks.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:05 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Action arms does it for $100. I had benelli send me a new recoil pad for my vinci. Depending on when you bought yours benelli warranty will probably cover it they sent mine for free
Old 01-13-2016, 10:05 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,044

G&H in Geuydan carries the recoil pads. Make sure you didn't lose the sleeve too. I lost the sleeve on my SBEII so Benelli had to send me a new stock. Gun was 6 years old the the replaced it for free.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:22 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

Birdsong industries black-T. You'll never find an ounce of rust ever on your gun and the stuff is so slick you don't even have to oil it because the oil is less lubricating than the coating. Cost a little change but you could drag the gun behind your boat to the blind and it still wouldn't rust
Old 01-13-2016, 10:57 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
Birdsong industries black-T. You'll never find an ounce of rust ever on your gun and the stuff is so slick you don't even have to oil it because the oil is less lubricating than the coating. Cost a little change but you could drag the gun behind your boat to the blind and it still wouldn't rust
Do you have any personal experience with this? How much to do a shotgun?
Old 01-13-2016, 12:57 PM
Redfish

Cash: 832

Had my marsh gun dipped by a friend in Kinder. $80 for barrel and receiver. Rest was synthetic so didn't matter. Good camo pattern and hold up pretty good as long as it isn't beating around in the bottom of the boat or four wheeler. 337-302-4070 Seth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2016, 03:11 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
Do you have any personal experience with this? How much to do a shotgun?
I got my wife's beretta coated and it was $200. But the thing is bulletproof(no pun intended). I guess it's the price as to why you don't hear more about them but they far exceed other coatings. The testing lab finally just stopped the high pressure saltwater testing because after several several thousands of hours they basically said screw it it's not gonna rust. I actually talked to the owners with questions(which thu are super helpful and informative). They told me that as far as the surface tension goes, they actually had to "tone" down the coating a bit for a batch of Full auto guns for the govt because the coating was so slick that it was throwing off the timing on the guns causing them to not cycle properly. I've sprayed my wife's down with rem oil and tried to wipe off the excess. And everything I sprayed on it came off because the coating doesn't let anything adhere. You can hose it off or just wipe it with a rag because nothing is sticking to it. Also the coating is embedded in the metal so there's no chipping or flaking to worry about. And if you do happen to scratch the metal somehow the coating goes several thousandths into the metal, so scratches won't cause it to be compromised
Old 01-13-2016, 07:04 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
I got my wife's beretta coated and it was $200. But the thing is bulletproof(no pun intended). I guess it's the price as to why you don't hear more about them but they far exceed other coatings. The testing lab finally just stopped the high pressure saltwater testing because after several several thousands of hours they basically said screw it it's not gonna rust. I actually talked to the owners with questions(which thu are super helpful and informative). They told me that as far as the surface tension goes, they actually had to "tone" down the coating a bit for a batch of Full auto guns for the govt because the coating was so slick that it was throwing off the timing on the guns causing them to not cycle properly. I've sprayed my wife's down with rem oil and tried to wipe off the excess. And everything I sprayed on it came off because the coating doesn't let anything adhere. You can hose it off or just wipe it with a rag because nothing is sticking to it. Also the coating is embedded in the metal so there's no chipping or flaking to worry about. And if you do happen to scratch the metal somehow the coating goes several thousandths into the metal, so scratches won't cause it to be compromised
Awesome. Thanks for the report.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:32 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Very good info, I didn't realize there were added benefits from reduced friction.

What about wooden stocks, can you Cerakote those as well?

I shoot an older Browning Gold that needs some love.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:49 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunforeman View Post
G&H in Geuydan carries the recoil pads. Make sure you didn't lose the sleeve too. I lost the sleeve on my SBEII so Benelli had to send me a new stock. Gun was 6 years old the the replaced it for free.
Probably a stupid question but what is the sleeve?
Old 01-23-2016, 12:34 PM
Redfish

Cash: 365

There's a plastic sleeve glued around the butt plate that acts as a spacer, without it the butt plate doesn't fit. From what I've heard it's a common problem
Old 01-23-2016, 06:48 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychamp1 View Post
There's a plastic sleeve glued around the butt plate that acts as a spacer, without it the butt plate doesn't fit. From what I've heard it's a common problem
Thanks, I didn't know that. I have taken mine down quite a few times and never noticed the sleeve.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:58 PM
Redfish

Cash: 365

The Fact that the manufacturer has acknowledged the problem and is replacing it for free,confirms this is still a quality firearm, IMO- several of my friends love these guns, never had any problems

Last edited by Baychamp1; 01-23-2016 at 10:13 PM.