SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 01-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266
Default Palmetto Island/Intercoastal?

Never really played on this side, but am going to the park Thursday and Friday and am thinking about bringing my boat if the wind stays down. Any advice on where to go for crabs or shrimp?

Just looking for something to do with the girls to break up the time sitting around...
Old 01-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

Gooh

Due to the cold weather all the crabs are buried.. Defintely NO SHRIMP..... YOU can try for catfish right there in the Verm Rr.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

If you boat is big enough you can head down the river to 4 mile cut into the bay.....head west to the north side of redfish point. Fish the fearman lake mouth on the bottom. You can catch redfish flounder blue cats and sometimes specks. I would not go into the lake,stay in the outlet the lake is very shallow. Like gunner said shrimp and crabs will be almost impossible.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Swordfish

Thanks fellas.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Redfish

Cash: 753

It is nice. They are going to pave the roads in the park in Fedruary. Another place to fish my wife and i caught some reds was about a mile north of the locks at Freshwater city in freshwater bayou canel. East bank of the canel caught some nice reds there. Also past through the locks there is adock there on the right with a deep hole, may pick.up a few specks there if the wind it to bad for the bay.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolpush View Post
It is nice. They are going to pave the roads in the park in Fedruary. Another place to fish my wife and i caught some reds was about a mile north of the locks at Freshwater city in freshwater bayou canel. East bank of the canel caught some nice reds there. Also past through the locks there is adock there on the right with a deep hole, may pick.up a few specks there if the wind it to bad for the bay.
That must be a pretty long boat ride?
Old 01-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Redfish

Yea, its about 25 miles from the parks boat launch. Tough when you go during the week when the pogey plant is cooking!!!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Great White

I know what you mean about that nasty plant....had to go to the w&t offshore dock early in the morning right next to it more times than I care to count.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

There are lots of wild pigs in the park also, which are pretty tame and you can get good views from the car but heard one attacked a ladies dog a few months back. We have gone a few times in the summer and its a really nice place for the family when they have the splash park going. Its a nice place
Old 01-02-2013, 02:30 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggun View Post
Gooh

Due to the cold weather all the crabs are buried.. Defintely NO SHRIMP..... YOU can try for catfish right there in the Verm Rr.

I don't believe that. Crabs are being sold right now for $35 a bushel. If they were all burried in the mud the price would go up. Only time the crabs go really deep are when it's really cold with air temps of less than 40 degrees for several days in a row. I was in flip flops and short pants yesterday. Best bet for crabs is to get a dozen deepwater ring nets and fish them in a bayou where they have cuts draining the marsh.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
I don't believe that. Crabs are being sold right now for $35 a bushel. If they were all burried in the mud the price would go up. Only time the crabs go really deep are when it's really cold with air temps of less than 40 degrees for several days in a row. I was in flip flops and short pants yesterday. Best bet for crabs is to get a dozen deepwater ring nets and fish them in a bayou where they have cuts draining the marsh.
I agree, I don't know much about winter crabs but 'they' catch crawfish when fields are iced over, and the crabbers run their traps in the winter in 3' of water, AND a couple weeks back we were at Rockefeller and caught the biggest, fullest crabs I have ever caught.

And, shrimp are still being chased under the birds as well apparently
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
I know what you mean about that nasty plant....had to go to the w&t offshore dock early in the morning right next to it more times than I care to count.
My brother works for Slemco and the plant is one of there biggest
customers. When they lose power and they go to the plant he said it is very bad inside. Said the smell stays on the truck for days!!!! LOL.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolpush View Post
My brother works for Slemco and the plant is one of there biggest
customers. When they lose power and they go to the plant he said it is very bad inside. Said the smell stays on the truck for days!!!! LOL.
Don't think I could handle that......nasty crap
Old 01-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,326

My best day of crabbing last year was January 4th.... The day after a front...lol I thought for sure we wouldn't do any good.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Swordfish

So, if I WERE going to try for crab on that side where should I go? Don't they have a couple weirs around there?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:23 PM
Great White

Redfish point by the old game warden camp there is two weirs. You have to cross the bay and it can get rough,not sure what size boat you got. If you look on google earth you can see them. Look for lake fearman southwest of intracoastal city. On the southside there is a canal take that canal and the first cut to the right by the old gw camp there is a weir. There is another weir if you go straight instead of turning into the cut on the right.....you will come down to the mouth of two cuts take the one of the left. Not far down take another left and the weir is right there. There is another weir on the north side just to the east of the mouth that goes into fearman.